Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have recently been rolling around the idea of pulling/buying a used 4.0 to rebuild back to stock specifications. No stroker kits no cams, just a "new" 4.0. This is really intended to be a learning experience for me and a friend and a back up motor basically. What Im looking for is advice from those who have rebuilt a 4.0/motors in general. Is the 4.0 a good motor to learn with for a first timer who dosnt have a lot of knowledge to begin with? Ive also found this book that seems to have a lot of positive reviews. Anybody here read/used it? http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-4-0-Engines-Workbench-How/dp/1613251386
Thanks for any insight guys/gals

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
no idea but good luck and thanks for link to the book lol might order it for myself so I have a better understanding of my engine

·
Registered
179 Posts
You need to find a good machine shop and talk to someone there. A good machine shop should be able to sell you everything you'll need for the rebuilt. From the main bearings to the head gaskets. Alot of machine shops will offer master rebuilt kits especially if your just looking for stock specs. You'll also have to have a good donor block as well. I was fortunate and had the privilege of being in the garage with my father since I was a baby. Ive rebuilt several engines and built a few mild race engines with about 600-700 hp. I've always been taught that if you can take it apart it can be fixed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
CM, I'm going to do the same thing for the same reasons. I replaced my 4.0 a little over a month ago with a used engine. My old engine is sitting on the floor of my shop and I will most likely re-build it this winter.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would first download a free Service Manual from Jeepslimited.com and read through the engine rebuild sections. This will give you an idea of how much fun and swearing/cussing you can anticipate. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. What do you think I can expect to pay for a DIY rebuild in parts? 1000$? Cheaper?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts