Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a wrangler since I was a little girl and I finally got one about a year ago. The last year has been all about making sure it's not going to fall apart on me and shamefully learning to drive stick shift. Now I think I'm ready to take it offroading, I think. I've been doing some research but I still have some questions I was hoping to get some help on.

It's a 98 tj SE and stock. My main concern is that the 4 cylinder engine will simply be too weak. Are there any mods I absoultly have to have before I go out? Will it be the worst idea I ever have if I go out for the first time alone? Also, I have no idea where I would go in the first place (I am around central ohio). Anyone willing to help me out?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can't help you out on where to go. But I will say it is advised to take it out stock. When I first got mine (04 se) I wanted to lift it and run 35s. I'm glad I took advise from others here and tried it out first. I found that all I really needed for my off-roading was 2 inches higher. So I went with a budget boost. A lot of people actually prefer a 4 banger compared to the 6 when off-roading too. It is less likely to spin tires in certain situations.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Never go wheeling alone. Go with a group of friends and watch what they do in certain situations, other Jeepers are usually very good about helping a newby.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a blast with mine when it was stock, other than some good MTS.
wheel it that way and then you will see what you like and you can meet others and see how they are setup..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Going out alone without a winch, or even with a winch, is a big bad idea. You will more than likely break something or get stuck in the mud. I live in Cincinnati and know some places within an hour or two to wheel but idk of any towards central OH. Check out jeepsontrails.com they do a god job at reviewing trails and parks. Message me if you're ever around Cincy and we'll set up a trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts