Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'02 sahara auto - 118,000 mi. activated cruise control @ 55mph - speed immediately began increasing ! - at about 60 mph i realized something not right - cruise control would not de-activate and speed continued to increase ! slightly rattled i began braking. the brakes struggled to bring jeep to complete stop and engine continued to try to overpower the brakes. as fate would have it i was about a block from my mechanics shop ! just removed foot from brake and jeep accelerated up to 45 - at which point i pulled into shop again forcing to a stop with brakes. turned off engine. restarted and engine immediately revved to very high rpm's. turned off and i am awaiting diagnosis. anyone experience this scary scenario ?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Time to take the fuse out for the Cruise Control and go OLD SCHOOL!! Too scary.

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Lol, this thread reminded me to order a cruise control kit for my 97...

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,601 Posts
Cruise control throttle cable get stuck or something?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Aftermarket CC installed.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Most likely Throttle Position Sensor. I had that happen to me in an '89 XJ (in early 1990). I went to lunch - all was fine. Stopped for gas and wham reved up to 3,000. I thought it would throttle down when in gear, but it didn't. I had to control it with the ignition switch. Fortunately didn't have to drive in much city traffic. Limped to the dealer after work. Fixed under warranty. I put another 80K miles on it and never had another issue with that Jeep.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
follow up w/ diagnosis - yes, stuck cruise control cable - easy fix but glad i was not in heavy traffic (yeah shifting into neutral and turning off ignition would be thing to do)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
An electrical issue, this being one, is hard to diagnose. So the only suggestion is that you thoroughly check everything electrical starting with the battery; age, cables, terminals, posts, and etc. And Ground wires and etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happened to me once, luckily I was on a relatively quiet road and able to drop to neutral and pull off. I turned off cruise and restarted with no luck. Since it was late and only a few miles from a dealership I had AAA tow it there. They found nothing wrong, I just stopped using cruise though I've had a couple of other shops check it out with no problems noted. I did recently replace the TPS and may try it out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts