Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least that's what the police think. My wife was doing about 45mph and the driver side front tire came off. I have no wheel spacers so that is not a issue. The other 3 tire are still torqued down properly. The police believe it was vandalism.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She said she wanted to go mudding, I told her to do it with 4 wheels next time
:beerme:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wow!!! Glad she's alright.

I've heard of this happening to a friend. He was lucky enough to have a locking lug nut. All the other lug nuts were missing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad your wife is ok - I hate thieves looks like they quit in a hurry while trying to steal your wheels. Insurance should make it right for you brother.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm putting a complete set on it when I get it back. There is some damage to some of the steering linkage and rotor. The GEICO is picking up the tab less my deductible and also paying for a rental car

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If I were you, and after such an event, I would put two sets of locking lug nuts on the Wrangler. If you put one locking nut across from the other, you will have protection for creeps who do things such as this one. I have two sets of locking lug nuts on my Wrangler, and two locking lug nuts on my Spare. Repair shops hate it, and keep messing it up, and I rip them a new one every time. Some people are haters, and you need to protect yourself from them. They are only about 17-25 dollars a set. I'm sure your wife will feel safer this way too.

Also, I hope you have an alarm on your Wrangler. This can also be a good deterrent. I have a Viper on my Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Had that same tire come off my jeep a couple months back. Felt like I had a steering shimmy or start of DW, and didn't think much of it because it was dark and I just had to make it home from the gym. Luckily it came off in the parking lot and the hub stayed within the rim and off the pavement. Obviously the wheel wasn't torqued down correctly.

Our theory was that it was because I used my impact driver. It's rated at 115lbft or so, but I've heard many times (well, after the fact) that impacts are notorious for not tightening down alloy wheels properly. So, from now on I hit it with the impact, then go back with my tire iron/torque wrench. Can always add some blue loctite, too.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wheels were torqued down at a PepBoys when I had new tires put on it back in January. I watched them use a torque wrench on all 4 tires after they were put on with the impact gun with a yellow lug nut attachment. While I was waiting for the tow truck I pulled out my 4-way lug wrench and checked the other tires. None of them were loose. But I will be putting on locking lug nuts when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yellow thing was a torque stick. Limits how much torque is transferred to the nut/bolt.

Weird. All my other wheels were fine when I had the wheel fall off, too.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Wow. Glad she's okay. I saw a similar event a few years back. Local off-road shop apparently forgot to put lugnuts on one wheel. It made it a block from their shop. I bet that owner was a little loud after that.

Again glad she's okay and the jeep is very repairable. Had to be a terrifying event.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Lucky thing the median was there. Glad no one was hurt. Here in Canada tire shops are required to retorque the nuts after 100kms, 60miles. They leave a hanger on your mirror as a reminder. But I have never seen torqued lug nuts come loose. I agree, someone was probably trying to steal the wheels.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hay Chief were any of the threads striped or did they all look good ?
if they all look good some one took the nuts off,
Your Wife was very lucky it didnt flip the jeep over.
I put a guy out of the Navy back in 1972 in San Diego
and on the way home that night my back wheel came off at 60 MPH
it flipped the truck over, I was ok,
two of the threads were striped the other three were fine,
Glad your Wife is fine, and tell her to stay out of the mud LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts