Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I plan on getting a wrangler. I want a I6 just for the extra power. Mods I have planed 33s and a 3in to 4in lift. might put a locker in there to. I dont plan on doing any hard core wheelin just things like this.

dont flame me on the yota....
So you think I should be set on a 4.0 or settle for a 2.5? how much power does the 2.5 put out. I thought the 4.0 put out 200hp? just looking for some input.

Chris

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hey Bro. It's all good with the Yota. My best bud drives one and his truck is just as capable as my Jeep. He can go everywhere I can, except with a three point turn every now and then.

Oh yeah, you know what they say. There's no replacement for displacement.

·
Administrator
12,636 Posts
I have never heard anyone with the 6 say they wish they had the 4.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
4Jeepn said:
Actually, there was someone in here awhile back that wanted to swap his 4.0 for his friends 2.5. I can't remember who that was, but he needed counciling.

·
Administrator
12,636 Posts
amerijeep said:
Actually, there was someone in here awhile back that wanted to swap his 4.0 for his friends 2.5. I can't remember who that was, but he needed counciling.
Must have missed him... and yeah get him some help. the new 4 is okay I think it has 150ish hp, but still like the 6 better.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
amerijeep said:
yeah i remember that. he's crazy :D
i believe it was "hardy" and he just wanted it for the better gas mileage.
the 4.0 is the way to go!

by the way. no flaming here. jeep "says" that the 4.0 puts out 190 horsepower. if your gettin 33's i think the 4 cyl might be a pain unless you regear...and maybe even then. go with a 6

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
If you want power, go with the 6. For how I use my jeep - a 4 banger is okay. Just a hunting, fishing and work vehicle. Nothing hardcore. I would definately recommend a 6 if you want a lift and 33's.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i've driven tj's with both and I would hate to have a I-4, it felt very underpowered compared to mine with the I-6

·
Registered
32 Posts
4Jeepn said:
The words were just takin...no..stolen out of my mouth!

GO WITH A v8 lol..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Exactly, its the cheaper way of doing things, other than buying 1 without a motor =P haha..I unfortunately went from a 6, to a 350 v8 LT1, and an NV4500 tranny ( its a beastful setup ) LOVE IT. haha...Swap it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Our '93 YJ has the 4 banger and it has 198,000+ miles on it and it runs like the Energizer Rabbit!

(I didn't buy it, it came with the Jeep Girl that I married!)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Its very smiple go with the 6 cause your going to hate the 4, you need more power to run 33's bud so yeah I6 is the way to go.

:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to go with the I6. but Im going to look at a cherokee to. The wife likes the wranglers better. but we'll see.

As for the V8. I work at a junk yard, and we have an olds 88 with the 455 rocket motor!!!! Just the thought of it scares me..

Chris

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Given the choice...6cyl all the way, but if you have to get a 4cyl it will still turn 33's with the right gearing. Do not...I repeat...do not buy a 4cyl with an automatic. The 6cyl can function ok with an auto, but the 4cyl just sucks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
for what you want it for go with the i6 now i have an i4 with standard 5 speed and i like it however i only do normal driving and dont need the extra power.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
daddyjeep said:
The 6cyl can function ok with an auto, but the 4cyl just sucks.
I'll have you know mine does just fine... Thank You Very Much!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts