Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have prosand cons about the new engine vs the old. My company leased TJ will be due to turn in in a few months should I buy it or have them lease me a new JK?

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
Well, if your company is going to pay for your ride, I say let them lease one for you.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
The V6 in the new JK's is the same 3.8L outta the Caravan... but being in a JK, they are starting to develop performance parts for it, and being a V6, its a little easier for the market to make things for. The I6 is better in stock trim than the V6 IMO.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
the i6 has more torque at low RPM. the V6 always needs more RPM.
do you have the diesel engine in the US? the diesel has 30% more torque then the i6. driving it at low RPM gave me the feeling of sitting in a stoked i6.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Two completely DIFFERENT engines here. The low end power of the V-6 just plain sucks, but the throttle responce is one of the reasons why. The Traction control has ALOT to do with it. Turn it off and you will notice a big throttle response difference. I have an AFE intake for mine, that will be going on this weekend, so I will let everyone know how it goes. As for the top end power, I raced a TJ rubicon on the freeway on the way home the other night and spanked its A$$. Flat out spanked it from 55-about 90. Is there hope for it, yes, but its not going to happen from bolt on parts. Its all going to be in computer programming. Yes, the 4.0 has way more power than the V-6 but lets be real here, we bought Jeeps to go off road not road race. For that matter, my Trail TJ is a 2.5 with an auto. BONE Stock, even has a paper air filter.

Joe
Absolute Offroad

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
^ yeah you might get a bit more performance out of a reprogram, but fuel economy will suffer poorly.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I engines are better balanced that V in general

I engines are heavier but tend to be made quite heavy duty compared to Vs which are made to be sportier. Many will argue that Is are not racing engines and i saw above Is are made to be stock but take the a Toyota Supra for example. It uses I6 and i've seen +600hp supras all over the place with just a bit bigger turbo than stock. It really depends what you are willing to do with it. Is are heavier since they need to be stronger because of the longer engine while Vs tend to be lighter since they are shorter. One takes longer space but can be shuved in a pipe while others fit great between the tires and dont need much lenght. I do agree though Vs tend to get better economy since they are lighter.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
That is exactly why, a V8, fits right into a Jeep. It is shorter, than the I6. For low end torque, you can't beat the I6. The V's are designed for higher end performance. They do get better fuel mileage, and are easier to control, as far as emissions. On the street, you can't beat a V, but at a crawl, you can't beat a in line motor.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know my jeep wasnt meant to do things like this, but this how it went down...

Pulled up to a red light, JK 2dr pulls up next to me, guys rolls down his window, i roll down mine.... guy says "i really like the way your jeep looks, what do you think of mine", I say " thanks, and your looks alright for stock"... he laughs and says "I bet mines faster than yours"... I laughed and reved the engine "we shall see"... He rolls up his window, I do the same.. I see the light turning orange on the side road, rev the engine up to 2 grand, light turns green in front of us, dump the clutch, reved out first, chirp the wheels going in second, (chirping 33's aint easy:flipoff: )..... I had him good, then let off at 50 so wouldn't get another speeding ticket... 1 point for the YJ's, zero for JK's here in town. 4.0L, intake, flowmaster cat-back system vs. stock v6 JK.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, I have a while longer on the lease. I will take it all into consideration. Maybe buy the TJ and have them lease me a Mustang! One big thing to me is the wider and longer JK won't be as easy to manuver narrow mountain trails.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
pfffft....my I-6 in my truck makes 325 horsepower

but its a cummins turbo diesel:flipoff:

as said tho earlier. I6 is way more torquey than a v6.

"in a row, built to tow"

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yeah, it's more torquey, but I lined up toe to toe with a JK today and Joe smoked me in down the street. It wasn't even close. That motor has enough power in it. :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
LOL. I thought you might have left the parking brake on....:flipoff: I had some idiot with a TJ Rubicon that was stock try to race me today also. It went the same as it usually does, The TJ will jump me about 1 Jeep length out, but after the little 3.8 wakes up, its all over but the crying. This race was one of those freway on ramp "races" that ended with my Top speed limiter @ just a tick over 100 on the speedo. ( I doubt it was that fast, most likely about 95-98) Good times. Its all but over though. The build starts on the 10th.....stay tuned!!!!!

Joe

Yeah, it's more torquey, but I lined up toe to toe with a JK today and Joe smoked me in down the street. It wasn't even close. That motor has enough power in it. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
does anyone have dyno results of a i6 and the v6? i cant seem to find any. the new motor has 202hp and 237 ft lbs of tourq. and the i6 is 190hp and 235ft lbs of tourq but i was wanting to see the actual tourq curve of the 2 motors

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
The Vs usually get better hp than the Is but suffer in the torque range. Thats why i believe the 3.8 is better for "drag racing" as seen above.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts