Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from Louisiana this is something I've not had to worry with, but tonight it could be a problem. Wondering if I should do anything to keep the freezing rain from building up and becoming a weight issue on my soft top. If I were home I could put it under the garage, but I'm at work until tomorrow morning. We hardly ever get snow, just sleet and freezing rain that builds up on everything. Are the soft tops strong enough for this or should I run a small electric heater in my Jeep over night? Weather men saying 1 to 4 inches of snow and ice.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
shouldnt be a problem, just warm it up in the morning and after it thaws a bit, push up a lil from the inside and you will hear it all crack and fall off, but be nice and try and get it off before you hit the road so ice isnt hitting those around you!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
It's the law up here in NJ that you clean your roof before hitting the road or they can pull you over and give you a ticket.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Throw a tarp over it to keep ice from building up on the windows.... then just pull off the tarp, ice and all. Weight shouldn't be that much of a problem for the top, but it might make it hard to pull a tarp off....

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Yeah, it'll be fine...you ever see what some of us up north have to deal with on our soft tops in the morning? lol

Just don't use a scraper or anything to clear your windows...for one it'll scratch the vinyl, and two, the vinyl gets brittle when it's that cold I've been told...and you could accidentally punch through it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's the law up here in NJ that you clean your roof before hitting the road or they can pull you over and give you a ticket.
I live in Philadelphia i don't know if that's the law here but i think it should be the law everywhere! Its not hard to clean all the snow off your car! I hate people who just clean their front window and drive cant even see out all the other windows like really how can someone drive like that! I remember last year when the big snow storm hit someone was driving had all this snow on top of their jeep hit the brakes to stop at the light and all the snow from on top fell in front of the car blinding his front window! I was dying! :rofl:

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
You might want to go start it and turn on the heat for 10 or 15 minutes before you go anywhere. But if weight was a problem none of us in Cleveland would be able to have soft tops. No worries. I have used a shop broom to push as much as a foot of snow off my top with no issues. But as was said - don't touch the windows - just let them thaw from the heat inside the Jeep.

I'd be more worried about driving on the icy roads. I don't suppose you have salt trucks either. :eek:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Why should it be a law to clean the roof of your vehicle? We have enough useless laws, use commom sense. Cleaning your roof is really a cheesy law, and any cop that enforces it is a rookie or lazy!

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Why should it be a law to clean the roof of your vehicle? We have enough useless laws, use commom sense. Cleaning your roof is really a cheesy law, and any cop that enforces it is a rookie or lazy!
You'd probably be okay as long as a chunk of ice doesn't fly off your roof and through the cops window.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mississippi Boy Here - Heard on PRM

You might want to go start it and turn on the heat for 10 or 15 minutes before you go anywhere. But if weight was a problem none of us in Cleveland would be able to have soft tops. No worries. I have used a shop broom to push as much as a foot of snow off my top with no issues. But as was said - don't touch the windows - just let them thaw from the heat inside the Jeep.

I'd be more worried about driving on the icy roads. I don't suppose you have salt trucks either. :eek:

The State has a "five" salt trucks up north. Other areas dispense from trucks and the make shift spreaders.

We face this type weather rarely - humorous actually - paralyzes most everything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the replies. Not as worried about the extra weight on the top now. I'll just get up and start it up a little earlier so it can defrost and I'll also be sure to knock off the extra before I head home.

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
If you guys in Louisiana get enough snow and ice to cause a problem on your soft top, you've got way bigger problems to worry about.

Here in Colorado it's a law that once you get going fast, you smack your Jeep top and send a shower of snow onto the car behind you.

OK, it may not actually be a law. But it sure seems to be a practice.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
If you guys in Louisiana get enough snow and ice to cause a problem on your soft top, you've got way bigger problems to worry about.

Here in Colorado it's a law that once you get going fast, you smack your Jeep top and send a shower of snow onto the car behind you.

OK, it may not actually be a law. But it sure seems to be a practice.
I need to move to Colorado...sounds fun!

·
Registered
313 Posts

Guess you never saw someone nearly decapitated by a chunk of ice have you? I guess you also never had to replace a windshield from a piece of ice either? Rookie/lazy cop? Try a cop doing his job. Police don't make the laws. They are hired to enforce them. The snow/ice removal laws were put in place to protect motorists not inconvinience people such as yourself.:9lame::9lame:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts