Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'll be needing to trim my rear fender flares soon. Going with Metalcloak overlines for the front.
I'm thinking I don't want to trim the flares flat, but rather leave some downward flare. Something like the marked up picture here.

If anyone can post pics of what they have, I'd appreciate it. Especially pictures that show how you tapered off the front and rear lower ends of the flares.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all

I'll be needing to trim my rear fender flares soon. Going with Metalcloak overlines for the front.
I'm thinking I don't want to trim the flares flat, but rather leave some downward flare. Something like the marked up picture here.

If anyone can post pics of what they have, I'd appreciate it. Especially pictures that show how you tapered off the front and rear lower ends of the flares.

Thanks
You can get the idea from my front. I did not want them flapping around so I cut below the bend. I used masking tape to mark the line and cut them with a dremel. I haven't gotten to the back ones yet

Sent from my NX16A11264 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..cut them with a dremel...
Hey Thanks. Looks good.

What tool did you use on the dremel and how did it cut?
I've seen youtube vids and most recommend using a jig saw. I'm wondering if a dremel with a circular saw blade type tool will work rather than a standard cut off wheel due to the melting of the plastic.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a high-speed plastic cutting bit there was a little melting going on but as long as you go by young guide, you can pretty much flake off the excess. I also used a self adhesive door trim to give it a finished look. This is available at the auto part store. Now you got me talking about it, I'm going to do the rear now. It takes about an hour to do it right. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once this is cut, its time to address the finish. I painted my flairs a couple weeks ago.and when I did I also cleaned and painted the frame rails. You can use back to black for the inner flair\ wheel well. Off to the part store while paint is drying.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did it with a little electric jig saw. Taped them off for reference, then cut. took about 5 minutes. Love the results.. Ive had the 33's stuffed all the way into the bump stop with no rub

1 - 11 of 11 Posts