Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody told me that my 99 SE (4 cyl. auto) only came from the factory with a three speed tranny. I thought mine was a 4 speed but had never paid attention. I got it out this morning and it definitely has 4 speeds. The shifter and console only shows 1,2 and D. Did any of the 99's come with a 4 speed auto or were they all 3 speeds and mine has been changed out some time? If so are there any easy ways for me to ID exactly which tranny I have?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
What you feel is the three speeds and the torque converter locking. That last one is not a forth gear.
Exactly. The torque converter locks up to give slightly better mpg and cooler transmission temperatures which causes the rpms to drop a tad which sounds just like the transmission shifted into another gear. Your transmission type is a 30RH. :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I never thought about the torque converter. Next question (might be a dumb one). One my last shift that I feel, there is a drop in RPM's. Is this still the torque converter or 4th gear. It drops from like 3200 to 2800 RPM's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How hard is it to swap a 32rh to a 42rle in a 98 sahara, I'm looking to drop rpms at highway speeds, possibly looking for a overdrive tranny ( what make would be easy to drop in), any shop in socal that can do this will be helpful thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
While it would not be impossible to convert from the 32RH to the 42RLE, it would be an extremely difficult process due to the computer interfacing that would need to be done. The 42RLE has its own computer and it interfaces to the engine computer which has to be programmed for the 42RLE, plus the engine wiring harness would pretty much have to be replaced with a 2003 and newer to make it work.

And to share with you my personal opinion, having had a '97 TJ with the 32RH and my present '04 with the 42RLE, I wish I could swap it out for a 32RH. I'm not real happy with my 42RLE at all. As I have said many times, I miss my 32RH... a lot! :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks for the input. I never thought about the torque converter. Next question (might be a dumb one). One my last shift that I feel, there is a drop in RPM's. Is this still the torque converter or 4th gear. It drops from like 3200 to 2800 RPM's.

Like we said, it is your torque converter locking, not a 4th gear!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
While it would not be impossible to convert from the 32RH to the 42RLE, it would be an extremely difficult process due to the computer interfacing that would need to be done. The 42RLE has its own computer and it interfaces to the engine computer which has to be programmed for the 42RLE, plus the engine wiring harness would pretty much have to be replaced with a 2003 and newer to make it work.

And to share with you my personal opinion, having had a '97 TJ with the 32RH and my present '04 with the 42RLE, I wish I could swap it out for a 32RH. I'm not real happy with my 42RLE at all. As I have said many times, I miss my 32RH... a lot! :)
Thanks, had to rebuild it once at 45,000 that was 70,000 miles ago, just running ideas for when/should be next upgrade

1 - 11 of 11 Posts