Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rust hole on my Jeep that's about 1.5 inches high and 3 inches wide. It's in the area where the rocker panel, floor and wheel well all meet.

I have an idea to fix this area. It will look like crap, but it will be covered up by rock guards. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Grind/cut out remaining rust.
2. POR 15 over any remaining surface rust or bare metal (inside of Jeep only).
3. Bolt or screw in a piece of sheet metal with a 90 degree bend that covers the hole.
4. Spray the area with that Flex Seal stuff (or some sort of sealant) for water tightness.
5. Treat outside of Jeep rust area with rust converter if needed.
6. Fill the remaining hole seen from the outside with Bondo.
7. Paint over Bondo to prevent rust.
8. Install rock guards to cover it all up.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could do all this any better? Changes you'd make to my plan? I realize I could weld in sheet metal, but that's not an option for me. I'm using a bit of sheet metal because I don't want to be stepping on just Bondo.

Also, can anyone recommend good rocker guards? I would like some that do not involve any removing of body mount bolts (as they are very seized and I don't want to mess with them) or frame drilling. Tub mounted only.

Something like this:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/barr...}&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J100293&XTID=J100293

If I did just get these, could I cut off the portion that mounts to the body mounts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you just want to halfarse it.... trim, clean prime and fix w two part epoxy and glass cloth...

Then seal any remaining exposed primer w paint n cover as you originally planned

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get a mig welder and use it to build a sandblaster.

Go by the community college and talk to the body shop teacher.

Get a part time job at a body shop or used car lot with a shop.

Find some friends who are doing this kind of stuff.

Have fun with it. It's just another day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts