Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the ideal gear ratio for off-roading in the desert ( no rocking ) for my 06 manual sport.

Currently have 33" tires on D30 & D40. As they came from the previous owner am not sure of the existing Gears.

Why I ask , at times I feel under powered to get over sand dunes where FJ cruisers sail thru.

What else can be done to increase its power ?

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's a balance really. The higher the ratio, the more seat-power you feel via quicker acceleration. But that cuts down your top end (limited to 108 I believe anyways...)
A 4.56 is the general go-to for 33s to get your Jeep close to stock performance. If stock isn't good enough, you'll have to do mighty engine upgrades.
Those FJs have a newer, more powerful engine with a higher redline so more time to stay in a gear.
You could stroke it out to 4.7, some new internal parts along with it. I think gains are in the 70s for BHP and torque. You could get a RIPP supercharger or a Banks turbo. I think again about 70 for gains. Or even an entirely new engine.
Toyotas...hmph.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh as for current gears, if it's the Dana 44 (not 40) then you likely have 3.73 gearing, if it's limited slip.
If it's maybe not a 44 and a 35, you are more likely to have 3.07.
Send an email to Jeep with your name and VIN and they can give you a build sheet for free.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was upgraded to D44 by the previous owner , jeep doesn't have the details.
As its not my DD , i really don't have any highway expectations from it.
Its our weekend toy.

Will changing the header make any difference ?
How to check my gear ratio ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts