Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im am a new jeep owner i have a 98 wrangler and we are looking into replacing the system in it now. there is a sound bar in place with 2 speakers and the front speakers. but we are up for replacing everything. we plan to be spending the summer with the topless as much as we can so want to have a system that sounds great. not into the big booming just crystal clear sound (loud) any ideas for us?

·
Registered
479 Posts
really any quality speakers will do that will fit I believe 5 1/4 in the sound bar and 4x6 in the front. Just find a local car audio shop and talk to them I am sure you wouldnt be the first jeeper to stop by and ask. Plus always go to support a local business.

·
Registered
864 Posts
A better option might be to get on eBay and get a set of adapter plates for the front. With minor modification the plates will allow you to put 5.25s in the front. Also the stock speakers in the sound bar are 5.25, however 6" will fit and I'm told 6.5 will fit. I put 5.25s in the front and 6" in the soundbar. The kicker 6" I could find around hear sounded much better than the other brands of 6.5s I could find. My 97 sounds much better now, and the adaptor plates aren't expensive. They can be found from $10-20.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I usually recommend polk audio speakers for Wranglers. they sound great and are marine rated so they hold up to moisture alot better. And yes most sound bars will hold a 6.5 speaker and definately do the modification plates for the 5.25 speakers up front. they will sound so much better than any 4x6 speaker.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
and i think ebay had some generic type ones. also someone posted a write up on this somewere and said Amazon.com: DEI 050320 Boom Mat 5.25" Round Speaker Baffle - Pack of 2: Automotive helps to make the speakers louder. Im not familiar with baffles but i can see how they work.

Nice find on the baffles! Definately use those, I had no idea they existed. It will give you way better sound on those speakers in the front by separating the front of the speaker from the rear of the speaker. I could go into alot of techie mumbo jumbo but save your time and spend the extra $9 and use those :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i put the 6.5" polk audios in the soundbar and then i put the 5.25 component with separate speakers in the front. The tweeters are mounted in the corners of the dash (so you dont see them too well). I put an amp under the drivers seat and an 8" low profile kicker in the console. it isnt going to win any contests, but it does sound pretty good and i didnt use alot of storage space.

·
Registered
839 Posts
May want to consider a small powered sub too, improves the sound quality a ton. I installed one in the back of my old tj behind the rear seat, it was an infinity basslink powered sub with the amp built in...took up less than half of my trunk space, got to keep my rear seat instead of adding a huge box which is totally unnecessary in a jeep, and it sounded awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts