Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some Jerry Cans for extra gas and water when I go offraoding and camping but I still have the stock bumper and I can't really afford to upgrade right now. Has anyone been able to secure them inside the tub easily? I never keep the back seat in so there is plenty of room I just don't want it to be rolling around in the back.

·
Registered
451 Posts
BAD IDEA. Really, really bad.

Problem #1: All gas containers have vents, and when the temperature increases with the hot sun on the car, they vent gasoline fumes into the car interior. Then you open the door, and the pin switch on the door causes a spark which ignites the vapor, and your Jeep explodes.

Problem #2: You are driving perfectly carefully, and some other darned fool hits your jeep, and the gas can becomes a missile that sprays liquid gasoline all over the occupants, then ignites it and barbeques them.

NEVER do this. Always carry gasoline on the exterior.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough. The thing is I'm doing this for practicality. Not to look like a Mall Crawler. With that being said I will only have them with me when I am out camping and I will have the top down so ventilation won't be an issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Problem #1: All gas containers have vents, and when the temperature increases with the hot sun on the car, they vent gasoline fumes into the car interior. Then you open the door, and the pin switch on the door causes a spark which ignites the vapor, and your Jeep explodes.

Problem #2: You are driving perfectly carefully, and some other darned fool hits your jeep, and the gas can becomes a missile that sprays liquid gasoline all over the occupants, then ignites it and barbeques them.

So if I have the top off is that not the same as outside the jeep and if the jerry can is

And if the can is mounted on the rear outside like the military does and someone rear ends me .We have the ford pinto problem
So life is nothing but chance Anyway you carry extra gas its a risk .So the answer is stay home in bed its safer .Just less fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts