Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any ideas on how to keep it from "raining" inside my jeep? Everytime it rains heavily, my dash leaks. It's mainly near the left side of my dash. The water leaks right above my clutch, so during heavy rain, my left foot gets soaked. I had a pretty bad rust hole between my wiper blades, and that was causing a leak. But I since fixed that hole, and tested it by spraying a hose directly on the area, and it didn't leak. So there is a secondary leak somewhere. I think this is pretty common, right? I drive a 93 by the way.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
so its dripping under the dash then. I would run a hose over the cowl as you did before, then seal it up. How is the windshield gasket?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's dripping under the dash. Mainly on the left side, right above my clutch. Before it was everywhere. I'll post a pic of how I fixed the previous rust hole. I filled the hole with steel wool, cut some diamond plate to fit, coated the back with sealent, and screwed it on. Don't get me wrong, its not leaking nearly as much as before, not even close. But there is still some dripping. Frustrating more than anything..

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
in the mean time, seal the top edge of the diamond plate with some silicon... like aquarium sealer or something of the same sort.

Clear is the best for looks anyways...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ausmithe said:
Sounds like you need to replace the windshield frame cowl. It's a pretty simple replacement and inexpensive as well.
Can you guide me in that direction.. How to do it, where to get replacement parts etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's an idea that I got from Jeep Forum... Fill spray bottle with soapy water, turn the defroster on HIGH to semi-pressurize the interior with all the doors and windows closed, and spray-away on the outside of your windshield. You should get some nice bubbles where the water is getting in. I did it and saved lots of time trying to guess at where the gaps were.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This just happened to me today.
Rained hard yesterday/last night.
First left turn I took today, water dumped out from above the pedals.
Not a lot, maybe a cup full. Just missed my feet.

So the common place is the windshield to windshield frame is the common spot?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here's an idea that I got from Jeep Forum... Fill spray bottle with soapy water, turn the defroster on HIGH to semi-pressurize the interior with all the doors and windows closed, and spray-away on the outside of your windshield. You should get some nice bubbles where the water is getting in. I did it and saved lots of time trying to guess at where the gaps were.
Cool idea. I gotta try that.

Ive been putting off my windshield frame replacement for too long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For the most part this isnt a windshield seal problem, It happens becuase the intake cowl for the a/c heater gets flooded, unscrew the plastic cowl cover in front of the windsheild and blast water through the small drain hole with a hose. The drain gets clogged and overflows into the dash.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This just happened to me today.
Rained hard yesterday/last night.
First left turn I took today, water dumped out from above the pedals.
Not a lot, maybe a cup full. Just missed my feet.

So the common place is the windshield to windshield frame is the common spot?
I can almost guarantee your problem and your lucky, cuz it only takes 5 minutes. Your drain cowl is clogged. It's on your firewall left center in between battery and engine. Google it if your not sure what it looks like. Take it off by squeezing clamp ends and pulling it off. See if its all clogged up. Cut off bottom inch so it opens it up and doesn't keep getting clogged with pine needles and mud etc

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to have to check this outbid June today as well. I get the water coming into the cab when I make turns too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts