Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently borrowed my jeep for a test run by himself. (I know, big mistake on my part.)

I didn't know it until today that he ran into something, who knows what. (He denies hitting anything or doing anything stupid in my jeep.)

The fact still remains that, now I have a front side marker lens that is hanging out on the outside of the right side fender. The fender seems to be in tact, except for some scrapes off paint. Tge fender does not appear to be broken, just scratched up.

My problem is that I can't get the lens to re-attach to the fender. Looking at the driver's side fender, it looks like some sort of plastic nut holding the lens onto the fender. Since I do not know actually where he took my jeep, I wouldn't have any idea as to where to look for that little "nut-like" object.

Any idea as to what this item is, & where I could find a replacement for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dunno ,but you can get the whole new lens for $8 plus shipping.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Self threading nut...
Your local auto parts store will have em in the help section

BUT usually the plastic peg breaks off too short for a nut...

Best bet is just buy a new light

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.
I bought a new lens. But, the new part does not come with a nut.

So, I guess now, my next step is to bring that new lens back to the auto parts store, & ask them for a "self threading" nut to go onto it.

I would have thought that they would have told me about needing that nut. They would have made a few more bucks, & I would not have to make a 2nd trip.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but, I will never again let someone take my jeep for a drive without me. I want people to understand my pleasure of driving a jeep. But, I want to keep my jeep in one piece.

Reactions: curtmini14

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
my next step is to bring that new lens back to the auto parts store, & ask them for a "self threading" nut to go onto it.
Yeah just go to an auto store or a hardware store like Fastenal and find a nut that works. It barely torques onto the thing and is super basic. Shouldn't be hard to find something that will work, no biggie.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but, I will never again let someone take my jeep for a drive without me. I want people to understand my pleasure of driving a jeep. But, I want to keep my jeep in one piece.
duh..unless it's trusted family or a spouse, idk why anyone would let someone else take their vehicle without riding along. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
384 Posts
Ok.
I bought a new lens. But, the new part does not come with a nut.

So, I guess now, my next step is to bring that new lens back to the auto parts store, & ask them for a "self threading" nut to go onto it.

I would have thought that they would have told me about needing that nut. They would have made a few more bucks, & I would not have to make a 2nd trip.

the guy at the counter wasn't having a good day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts