Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Moab killed by stock battery so I replaced this afternoon. Underneath the battery was this guy.

Anyone know what the hell this is? It’s not metal but has some weight to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I can’t imagine what that might be. If it’s a foam or rubber composition, perhaps an isolator of some sort for the battery tray. I could not locate this on any manual page for battery trays or battery replacement.

I’m wondering if it was an isolator between the battery and some object nearby?

Hope someone else can pitch in with an answer...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t imagine what that might be. If it’s a foam or rubber composition, perhaps an isolator of some sort for the battery tray. I could not locate this on any manual page for battery trays or battery replacement.

I’m wondering if it was an isolator between the battery and some object nearby?

Hope someone else can pitch in with an answer...

It’s not foam rubber. It’s solid and has some heft but it’s not metal.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Anti-vibration pad????
Or something to keep corrosion off the battery pan if it leaks???

·
Registered
674 Posts
anode ??

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Fun Size Snickers bar that fell out of someones pocket on the build line. Take a taste and tell us what you think.:mooning:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I looked in my 2014 FSM and didn't see anything. Like someone else mentioned, I'm thinking maybe a neutralizer of some type to keep any acidic water from draining out of the tray and onto the body.

·
Super Moderator
23,431 Posts
that is that radio active material that went missing in the plant in 2017....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ferrous (magnets stick to it) or magnetic (sticks to metal)?

Looks like the recycling-plant slag-gravel we used to level out our truck yard. Looked just like little round gray pebbles (same texture as your picture, sort of a lava-rock look) but had enough metal that magnets would pick it up, and it messed up my drone's GPS at low altitude.

None of which explains what it was doing in your battery tray. :)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mystery solved. While its magnetic, the magnet is inside of a rubberish exterior as it’s somewhat pliable.

However, what it is and why it’s in the battery tray has nothing to do with the battery. As it turns out, it’s a magnet that was used to secure masking plastic in the engine bay when my Jeep was Kevlar coated.

It must have fallen down the side of the battery a couple of years ago and then to the bottom of the tray as I removed the battery.

Thanks all for the help and entertainment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts