Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen SYE be mentioned on here many, many times. My TJ already came lifted(BDS) and 33s. I have no idea if SYE has been done. How can I tell? Drives great around town and on the highway.( no vibes) It's a 2005 Unlimited.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Look under the jeep. You will be looking at your transfers case. Look at the cover where the drive shaft is connected. This should be new or newer looking then the rest of the transfercase. This is the cover body of the SYE and you should have new rear drive shaft if it was done right. If you can just post some pictures and we can tell you.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
This is what a sye and double cardan drive shaft looks like. If the front u-joint on your rear drive shaft is further back and there is only one u-joint there, you don't have an sye/dc drive shaft. An unlimited can be lifted higher without the need of an SYE due to it's longer drive shaft.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

OK here's a pic. I don't think I have SYE.

Watetdog, you lost me with your last sentence. Seems like you're saying I may not need an SYE??

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's stock Slip Yoke. If you don't have driveline vibrations (you can feel in the steering wheel) then you don't need one

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't have a SYE and if you don't have any vibes you don't have to have one. I run 33s with a 4" lift on my LJ with just a small TC drop and have no vibes. That being said I will be getting a SYE when time and cash allow.

Mark

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
That's stock Slip Yoke. If you don't have driveline vibrations (you can feel in the steering wheel) then you don't need one
Drive line vibes are typically felt through the body (seat/console) and not through the steering wheel...just FYI.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Have your tires balanced and get an alignment.
Everything is aligned right by firestone. Just had tires balanced.
I've had the same vibrations in my steering wheel since the day i've got my lift installed. Never had them prior
The only thing my D30 doesn't have is chromolly shafts.
Replaced ball joints
tie rod
drag link
wheel bearings

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Everything is aligned right by firestone. Just had tires balanced.
I've had the same vibrations in my steering wheel since the day i've got my lift installed. Never had them prior
The only thing my D30 doesn't have is chromolly shafts.
Replaced ball joints
tie rod
drag link
wheel bearings
Do a dry steering test to identify any loose/worn parts. Also if you're running over-sized tires balancing becomes critical...close isn't good enough. Try swapping your backs for your fronts and see if it makes a difference.

Dry Steering Test

Do a dry steering test by having someone sit in your Jeep (with the tires on the ground) and continuously turn the steering wheel back and forth from about the 11 to 1 position while you lay under the front end and watch and feel for any lateral play in any steering or suspension joints. Check both track bar ends, the tie rod and drag link ends.
Although rotational movement in the tie rod and drag link is normal and necessary, there should be no end movement at all in the joints. There also should be no movement in the track bar ends.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Trackbar is 1/2 inch now because it was causing wobble. Everything is how it's suppose to be. The tires were balanced last weekend.
I have vibes in first gear with anything over 2500 rpm

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Trackbar is 1/2 inch now because it was causing wobble. Everything is how it's suppose to be. The tires were balanced last weekend.
I have vibes in first gear with anything over 2500 rpm
Try disconnecting your front drive shaft at the axle, tape up the u-joint caps, and tie it up out of the way, then take it for a drive and see if the vibes go away. If they remain, remove the rear drive shaft and take it for a drive in 4 high and see if they go away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts