Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, spent most of the weekend on this and have narrowed it down to a hopeful result. 1993 2.5l 5sp, the axle bearings on my rearend are starting to howl. I ordered the bearings and seals for a 1993 only to discover that the axles are not held in by C clips. The tag was bolted on the diff but its rusted at the end. I snapped some pics of the numbers on the ring gear since the tag wasn't able to do anything for me. None of the numbers I've located on the rear end did anything for me. There was a stamping on the cover sealing surface of the housing that read Dana 210. Going by the cover bolt pattern I think it's dana 35. It's an open diff with 4.11 gearing. It also used a roll pin to hold the pinion shaft in place. There are no threads for a bolt so that leads me to believe it was supposed to be there.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like a D35 cover that has the solid screw-in style fill plug which was common on the non c-clip D35's.

Perhaps somebody swapped out the original D35C for a D35 non c-clip axle.

If so, once you remove the drums you can access the 4 axle retaining bolts through the hole in the axle flange by spinning it & aligning the holes with the retaining bolts.

Similar to how a rear D44 axle shaft is assembled & retained.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts