Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sticker doesn’t mean anything. You need to look at the VIN. If the rig is indeed a Rubicon you will need to crawl underneath and verify the D44 front/rear axles and rock trac transfer case haven’t been swapped out.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
SE. Note the lower flare extension just foward of the door. Those are not possible on the Rubicon because of the side plate on the Rubicon.

The decal is in the wrong position as well. It does appear to have aftermarket 15" wheels which would not be a designated item, except the larger tires necessitated the use of wider flares. The Rubcons come with flares that are 3/4" wider than the SE. You can also see the factory metal plating along the sill below the door. The side bars are not stock, they are there to prevent parking lot door dings since there are no running boards.Those are the external visual clues.

And as Blort stated, the key is also the VIN, the axles and different transfer case. But, you have to get very close to see those details. That TJ doesn't look like it has gotten a lot of love either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to take alot at it tomorrow morning..seems interesting for that price ..
claims to run and drive just a bit of rust
manual transmission

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
"Just a bit of rust" is the Jeep equivalent of "the check is in the mail". Make a thorough inspection of the underside, especially around where the control arms connect to the frame. Critical area.

If he will allow it, make note of the VIN. Then run it here:
FCA RAM

That will give you the build sheet, stating the true model description, and what equipment the Jeep left the factory with. If still interested, sign up for a few CarFax inquires on the VIN. The important thing is how many owners, where it has been registered, and how long the current owner has had it.

For me, in that condition, it would have to be south of $5G.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
$750 is a steal regardless

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Figure a running 4.0 engine goes for $400 and up to be used as a swap or get rebuilt. Rims and tires might fetch a few hundred more. Transmission and transfer case, some more cash, if in decent working order.

So, yes... Definitely worth more than $750 in parts, but I wouldn't expect to be able to make it road (or off-road) worthy without spending a ton more time and money than you would just finding one in better condition.

It is probably not a Rubicon, as others have noted, regarding the extra flare extensions seen in the photo.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
It's a 4 cylinder and it's been wrecked. If it's drivable, it's worth looking at.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
How can you tell externally that it is a 4 cylinder?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
It's not what it costs, it is what will it cost to fix it up and perform any needed maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 sport has an actual Rubicon hood, but clearly the jeep is not one. I was in hail storm and my sport hood was destroyed. Luckily the hood and my windshield was the only real damage. Even the soft top held up! I got a matching back hood from this dude on Craigslist that sells custom hoods, basically a take off. I did this for other items sports don’t come with. I thought about taking the letters off, but for what? When or of I ever sell it, I will fully disclose this. You might try a title check or take good pics of the interior and post on this form To confirm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts