Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my TPS and I have a high idle when I hit the clutch in and it annoys me greatly. Any advice would be great I am hoping there is another solution besides buy another TPS

·
Registered
451 Posts
Idle RPM is governed by the PCM and should be the same (about 850 RPM) with the clutch in or out. Could your clutch be dragging a bit, not fully disengaging?

·
Registered
723 Posts
You may need to clean your Idle Air Controller. I have the same problem with mine once in a while, especially in colder weather. I have taken my entire throttle body off and cleaned the entire thing several times but it still comes back from time to time. Im beginning to think its just another one of those "jeep things".

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I replaced my TPS and I have a high idle when I hit the clutch in and it annoys me greatly. Any advice would be great I am hoping there is another solution besides buy another TPS
If the problem started with the new TPS, it's pretty likely that the TPS is the problem. If you can round up a scan tool, you can see what the TPS is reporting to the ECM.

Any chance you didn't get the TPS seated correctly?

Idle RPM is governed by the PCM and should be the same (about 850 RPM) with the clutch in or out.
Problem is, the computer doesn't govern idle except when the throttle is closed. And it doesn't know that the throttle is closed unless the TPS says it's closed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the same problem but mine also has a high idle when in neutral as well. My RPM's shoot up to 2800 and stay constant. It drives fine though. Have you found a fix?? I replaced my TPS and cleaned my IAC with no luck. Also cannot find a vaccum leak if there is one... Let me know if you find the problem.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am having the same problem but mine also has a high idle when in neutral as well. My RPM's shoot up to 2800 and stay constant. It drives fine though. Have you found a fix?? I replaced my TPS and cleaned my IAC with no luck. Also cannot find a vaccum leak if there is one... Let me know if you find the problem.
This sounds like a vacuum leak, if however you are sure you don't have one, I'd be looking at the intake gasket. Had a truck that would do this. Idle crazy high but otherwise drove fine, new intake gasket and everything was smooth as silk again.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,685 Posts
Has your intake manifold ever been removed & replaced, like to install a new exhaust header?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same problem, cleaned the IAC, problem still there. I replaced the IAC and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has your intake manifold ever been removed & replaced, like to install a new exhaust header?
The last time my intake manifold was off was about a year ago when I replaced the gasket. I just checked my vacuum lines again today and found two small leaks. Fixed those and now my idle is even higher. I will be replacing my IAC tomorrow but I am now out of options other than a full engine swap. :banghead:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,685 Posts
If messing with your vacuum lines produced an even higher idle, that's a sure sign that something done to the vacuum lines somewhere made the vacuum leak even worse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I repaired the two leaks and searched again and found no problems. The RPMs just changed from 2800 to 3k.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I'm suffering from a similar problem. Cleaned the throttle body and replaced IAC and TPS with dealer supplied parts to no avail.

Any suggestions where to look for the culprit?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, so I changed my MAP sensor, replaced all of my vacuum lines, cleaned my TB, replaced the TPS and cleaned my IAC.... My header looks fine, I did inspect it. I am out of options here!! Is there anything else that I can look at because I am still idling at 3k!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, so I changed my MAP sensor, replaced all of my vacuum lines, cleaned my TB, replaced the TPS and cleaned my IAC.... My header looks fine, I did inspect it. I am out of options here!! Is there anything else that I can look at because I am still idling at 3k!
Did you replace the TB gasket and the intake manifold gasket? That would be my next step if I already did everything you said. An idle that high is almost always a vacuum leak. You can try and find it first by spraying carb/TB cleaner around where the TB meets the intake manifold and where the manifold meets the head.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Did you already try all of the above suggestions?
I believe so. I did notice talk of a gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. I don't have a gasket on mine.

I have replaced the TPS and IAC, cleaned the throttle body and had the fuel pump replaced.

Still idles around 1800 RPM, so am kicking out codes for not achieving idle. Oregon DEQ winter pass me.

Where (how) should I look for vacuum leaks?

Thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
I believe so. I did notice talk of a gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. I don't have a gasket on mine.

I have replaced the TPS and IAC, cleaned the throttle body and had the fuel pump replaced.

Still idles around 1800 RPM, so am kicking out codes for not achieving idle. Oregon DEQ winter pass me.

Where (how) should I look for vacuum leaks?

Thanks
:whistling:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts