Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Idle Jump fuel/vacuum?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Luckymac 
#1 ·
Ok so iv been reading a ton of threads even on other forums and still cant get a good answer. I changed my fuel injectors and throttle, fuel injectors are the ford v-8 injectos and has a 4.0 throttle body on my 95 2.5l 4cyl. Drove about 60 miles and it was running great with lots of power and acceleration over stock. Went out romping last night and took it through some mud and water and now it idles very weird.

Symptoms:
starts high at 2k and falls down to idle
when idling it will fall to about 700rpms once at this position it idles like it has a huge cam or misfire
20-30 seconds go by and the idle jumps to 1k as if a load was taken off the motor and it runs GREAT, no misfire no hesitations nothing.
Another 30 seconds it does it all over again.

I did notice on the freeway today on my way home that it felt at if a huge gust of wind was hitting the jeep and was holding it back for a few second and then it would take off again. No wind out so i know it was the motor so this is what leads me to think the fuel pressure is off and not keeping a consistent psi.

Attempted solutions that have failed:
Sparkplugs
Wires
Cap/rotor
new accel performance coil
spray vacuum lines to check for a leak
cleaned new throttle body (AGAIN)
new TPS
clean IAS and changed it with a new one. Found nothing so im running the old
New air/fuel filters
electrical connectors cleaned and in place
Charging system positive
(I did more, my brain hurts from thinking)

Long story short the only thing I think is left is to check my fuel pressure and im hoping that the problem lies with the fuel pump fluctuating.

At this point moral support and to know i might be on the right track would be appreciated lol. My head is going to explode trying to figure out whats wrong. :banghead:

See less See more
#3 ·
well im running sea-foam through it at the moment and it down to half a tank. plus it ran great 20 miles ago before i took it offroading. Im going to get a psi gauge tomorrow to see wtf is going on. Sounds crazy but after all this im reallllly hoping that its the pump so i can just drop the tank, change it, and call it good.

#4 ·
The pick up screen for the pump may be clogged from all the off roading. Can't tell till you drop a tank just a thought. Has it ever done this before???

#6 ·
Ok so here's a little update. Injectors all look good and from the few test i know (advice appreciated) My fuel regulator is doing ok. However the lady and I ran to the local Autoparts and used a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rails and was a little shocked. with the gauge plugged in i turn the ignition on to prime the injectors, when primed the gauge only read 13psi, should be at least 30psi. When I started it the gauge was bouncing all over the charts when it idled rough. when it jumped to 1k it steady out but still wasn't as consistent. I didn't walk out with the fuel pump just yet as i don't know what the difference between import and export pumps are yet but ill drop the tank and change it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!

#8 ·
Crank sensor or the one on the flywheel. Either way what is the cost and how long to replace? If it is cheap and easy I would do it and make the old ones trail spares if it doesn't fix it.

#11 ·
@Michelle Minx Original post was from Nov 2012. I suggest starting your own thread with what's happening to your Jeep and what steps you've taken to cure the issue.
Be sure to state whet year your Jeep is and what engine/transmission you have. It's good to state what mods have been done too.

Good Luck, L.M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.