Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 yj 2.5 L throttle body Jwrangler is backfiring caused the muffler to sound different and floorboard under passenger seat is super hot it started after using my brights one night that shut off twice but came back on then later started it up and few minutes later it died a huge backfire happened as it stalled on the highway touching the wires below the dash board but managed to come back on and has been starting but dying ever since that night! Please anyone help me so that I can figure out what and where to take it to have it fixed

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Something is terribly wrong ECM is closed loop running the ngine very rich thus the hot CAT and muffler.

Is it back firing through the muffler or the TBI??? The headlights are an issue in the wrangler but I don't lnow that they will interfee with proper engine operation.

Has the JEEP had a tune up lately? If not start with the basics pull the plugs they tell a story of how it has been running. I would think they are all black and sooty right now. After it is tuned up to include changing the fuel filter check the timing which is set by the ECM. Should be about 8 degrees BTDC. Then you are going to have to start working the sensor game which all feed the ECM to make it run properly. One or more is not working right.

Parts
Tune up Kit
Fuel filter
O2 sensor ???

Run after all that and see what happens and send back some info. Send pictures of the plugs so we can look and see what is going on inside the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts