Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not so sure how I'd feel. Just don't mess with the Jeep formula. Much like when Fiat took majority of Chrysler, people said don't mess with the Wrangler. Hell the renegade is a fiat 500. Kind of lost that made in 'Murcia feeling a while ago.

Volvo has been majority owned by a Chinese company(Geely Holding Group) for a few years and their offerings have improved to segment leading. The XC90 is a really nice CUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Kind of lost that made in 'Murcia feeling a while ago.

Huh?

Despite being owned by an Italian company the Wrangler is listed as the most "American" vehicle you can currently buy with 74% of its parts being American made.

More American than any Corvette, Mustang or F150.

More American than any other vehicle.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
You can get mad and stomp your feet but you can't change the way the world is right now. That being said, I'd wait to see how things are being done. If they buy the company but they allow it to be who it is, fine. If they try cutting corner after corner then eff 'em. Bottom line, if they do it right, I'm in.

I remember when people cried rivers of tears when an Indian company purchased Jaguar years ago. Well, they've been making some head-turning Jags lately and their top tier models have interiors that are absolutely NO JOKE. I will note that Rovers are still crap-tastic though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You can get mad and stomp your feet but you can't change the way the world is right now. That being said, I'd wait to see how things are being done. If they buy the company but they allow it to be who it is, fine. If they try cutting corner after corner then eff 'em. Bottom line, if they do it right, I'm in.

I remember when people cried rivers of tears when an Indian company purchased Jaguar years ago. Well, they've been making some head-turning Jags lately and their top tier models have interiors that are absolutely NO JOKE. I will note that Rovers are still crap-tastic though.
WTF happened to Land Rover? They used to make some nice off-road vehicles, but everything they have now is luxury crossover.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Jeep's been owned by Renault, Daimler and Fiat. Why not the Chinese? They've done well with Volvo.

Better to have a non-competitor buy them than the previous idea of partnering with GM, which would be more likely to undermine FCA brands in favour of GM brands.

Best for Jeep would be someone who want to see them succeed against Forc, GM, LandRover, Toyota, etc. and that would be more likely with a Chinese comoany looking for market entry and expansion.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
742 Posts
You know, I worry about this also. But, it could be a silver lining as they will have huge amounts of capital to invest in new product development. Chrysler has been cash strapped since the early 70's when they broke the bank to redesign their full size cars just in time for an oil embargo.

Most likely they will leave production locations where they are, and maybe even add lines. The big change would be a return to a full line up of vehicles in order to maximize market penetration.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
WTF happened to Land Rover? They used to make some nice off-road vehicles, but everything they have now is luxury crossover.

Because that's what the market dictated. How is spending $100k to go off-road?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Could a Chinese Jeep possibly have a poorer quality level than FCA? I love my Wrangler, but it's the first purchase I ever went with an extended warranty on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It appears this may only be a rumor and the reason I do not like China to get Jeep is because China is trying to buy everything it can get its hands on. Its bad enough China steals IP left and right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why do people compare China owning it to the Germans or Italians. Germany and Italy are our allies. China is an antagonistic power hungry communist dictatorship trying to take over Asia and bully its neighbors into submission. It also steals our technology, threatens our military, backs North Korea, and generally works against our interests any way it can. They're in a long term economic war with us and we don't even know it. Maybe it would have been a great idea if Germany and Japan bought up all our industry in the 1930's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts