Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all!

Decided to just go with a base model rubicon as soon as copperhead opens up :D

do i need to still sleeve and gusset it with 35's plan on going on green/blue trails. I know i will need todo them eventually when i plan on doing the rubicon trail and moab

TIA

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run 35s on my Sport with the stock dana 30 in front, as do many people I know, but here's the deal: we gotta take it real easy on the trails and do more crawling than Ultra 4 KOH style stuff lol, and even then something's gonna break sooner or later. Although you don't have to worry about reinforcing anything immediately, it is always a good idea, if anything just for peace of mind. The forces involved aren't limited to tire size and you can damage almost any axle with any setup.

My advice: don't worry about it now, just take it easy and when you get some extra cash, then yeah, reinforce it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I didn't know sleeves and gussets were that big of a deal for the average crowd.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
I run 35s on my Sport with the stock dana 30 in front, as do many people I know, but here's the deal: we gotta take it real easy on the trails and do more crawling than Ultra 4 KOH style stuff lol, and even then something's gonna break sooner or later. Although you don't have to worry about reinforcing anything immediately, it is always a good idea, if anything just for peace of mind. The forces involved aren't limited to tire size and you can damage almost any axle with any setup.

My advice: don't worry about it now, just take it easy and when you get some extra cash, then yeah, reinforce it.
I agree. Not necessary immediately unless you plan on doing heavy offroading immediately. I know a guy that has been running 37's on a dana 30 with 3.73 and no sleeves for about 8 months now with no issues. It is mainly a mall crawler so it rarely sees any dirt or rocks.

I would say you should be fine as long as you take it easy on the mild trails and mainly keep it on the road. gusset and sleeves can wait until later IMO

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If you are doing any decent offroading, I would. I did. I'd do it anyway. Even mall crawlers get ambushed at speed by curbs and parking dividers.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I'd do gussets. Not going to bother with sleeves or trusses or anything else. If I bend an axle I'll just replace it with a much better axle. Rubicon or Sport doesn't matter. The stock d30 and d44 have the same weaknesses when it comes to tube/knuckle strength.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What brand gussets and sleeves would you recommend? I'm seeing the wrap around type of gussets as well as the type that just lay on it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Needed, no, but to wheel why not save yourself a headache. Neither thing is that expensive.
Thanks guys, I think ill budget for it and do it before i get my wheels/tires.

The kits themselves arnt that much but no way in hell can i DIY that :eek:

Ive been quoted anywhere from 800-1300 to just gusset it all saying they pull the shaft and seals out to make sure nothing warps or leaks, which is the bulk of the labor i imagine.

Unless someone in the PA-NJ-DE area wants to work for beer and pizza and good company :D

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
If you lived a little closer to me I'd do it for like 200. :rofl: Find some jeep buddies/club in your area and someone will be able to weld and help with the other installs. I am in the PA area but too far from you.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I used the the teraflex sleeve & gussets (cuz that what my shop uses, not because I think there is much of a difference between them all). It cost me about $450 total for install & parts. It was not something I was going to let my Jeep friends tackle, I save those favors. Lol

Cheap insurance if u ask me. I wheel it pretty good so it was one of the first things I did, but I'd probably do it even if it were a mall crawler - at least the gussets...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been looking at the gussets, but don't want to take the entire knuckle out for the welding, was looking at the tereflex set up. Does putting a wet rag on the ball joints really work or are you just kidding yourself and get to replace them in short order if you don't dis-assemble the knuckle?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Get a good welder who knows heat cycles, lets things cool off, and know how to work around axles and ball joint. My Rock Krawler dealer (also recommended by them) screwed everything up. It is hard to undo really bad welding without heat-cycling the metal over and over. My master welder who did clean some of it up was laughing at the welds and warping. I don't think he (the installer- Bach Crawlers- Pete Bach- who was bad enough with everything else) did it himself. I think he may have hired a welder but the welder is a hack too...capable of only basic welding- nothing complex or delicate or upside-down. So be careful with this one. Bad welding can leave you with a pull to one side and weaker Cs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the synergy gussets and sleeves and the cost of the install was roughly $400-500. The total ($1100) was a bit more as I also had new ball joints installed at the same time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I live close enough to Northridge to let them do work if I need.

If I provide the c-gussets and have them add the sleeves as well as upgraded ball joints, they'd get me out the door for around $800 or so I believe it is.

I'm already saving my pennies. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts