Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions for you guys. I'm going to be getting the AEV rear bumper soon. But I'm torn between getting the AEV tire carrier or the Teraflex tire carrier. They're within $60 of each other, if I buy the bumper + tire carrier, so cost is basically equal.
Here's where I'm at, so chime in with your opinions or maybe "If I had it to do over again..."

AEV Pro's:
Top notch quality
Gets the weight off the tailgate
Expandability

Con's:
Tire mounted high, blocks rear vision

Teraflex Pro's:
Compact design, less weight
Tire is mounted lower and closer to tailgate, better rear vision

Con's:
Less expandability
Cost when compared to AEV

I like them both and tend to lean to the Teraflex. But when I look at the cost it seems like I'm getting a lot more with the AEV system.

If you have one, do you ever wish you'd have gone the other route? Why?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Off subject great looking jeep. On subject, how OCD are you? AEV does not center on tailgate. I suppose leaving additional room for door handle access.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Off subject - Thanks! I like it... a lot!

On subject - I'm as OCD as the next guy... but off center does not bother me. But... I have all AEV stuff, so that does kinda' weigh in on having an AEV tire carrier.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Off subject - Thanks! I like it... a lot!

On subject - I'm as OCD as the next guy... but off center does not bother me. But... I have all AEV stuff, so that does kinda' weigh in on having an AEV tire carrier.
Then my friend, I think you answered your question. AEV it is. Someday for me, seems like a slow build. Hopefully Quad or Northridge can at least do free shipping. I am pretty sure Jason at Krawl can get it as well. Good luck and Great looking jeep.:thumb:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AEV Pro: TIRE CARRIER IS OFF CENTER!!!! :D

HA! I guarantee you I have laid hands on one.. and I know what I'm getting when I plunk down the cc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same dilemma - ended up with the AEV rear bumper and the Teraflex tire carrier. Great setup and couldn't be happier. The Teraflex setup is very adequate and retains the clean stock look while beefing things up. Both good choices and you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
If you're considering the Teraflex, also look at the OR Fab. They have 3 configurations depending on if you want cans or not. I'm probably going that route with rotopax.

The teraflex is first gen. I never like anything first gen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Which tire carriers are no drill? I have a 10A so AEV is no-drill.

You can all point and laugh at the n00b that doesn't want to drill his mall crawler now...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Which tire carriers are no drill? I have a 10A so AEV is no-drill.

You can all point and laugh at the n00b that doesn't want to drill his mall crawler now...

on the 10A both would be no drill.
You do loose a hook on the back if you do go with the AEV on the 10A Bumper.

Also i like the TF one, got the highlift mount and rotopax for it :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an AEV rear set up, my first. The others have all been standard. My only point that I would make to you is. Make sure who ever fits it does it correctly. Mine wasn't fitted correctly ie parts missing, only one bolt on the tyre carrier side, wiring wrong, no lock bolt, sagging looking sad. Other than that's she's a good set up

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My wife & I are 60ish is there trick to hoist the spare onto carrier?
Delete it! If you can't hoist it up, could you really change it? Not being mean either. I would hate to see my father or mother trying to do this

·
Registered
369 Posts
Had the Teraflex hinged tire carrier combo on my 2012 JKUR. Built very well. Never a problem. Liked it so much that I am putting one on my new 2014 JKUR! I'm opening the rear tailgate often and having a single action like stock sure is nice. I'd think it would get old dealing with a double action. Either way you are choosing top tier brands and won't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts