Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most peoples worst jeeping fear is rolling their rig. I know there are a lot of different factors involved but is a jeep normally totaled after a rollover? From pics I see usually the hood, windshield, grill and roll bar (the factory ones) are bent. Doors are also usually off as well. Do people rebuilt or strip the good aftermarket parts and start over?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Vehicle is Totalled if cost of repair exceeds approximately 80% of the vehicles value.
At $40,000 - takes a lot to total a rig.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
there are entirely too many variables to be able to say "yea its rolled so its totalled"

I would imagine different state laws, insurance company, etc, vary on this.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I guess the wording of my question is pretty poor. I guess it would be better to hear from someone who HAS rolled their jeep. Did you rebuilt it or no. I guess with the availability of parts rebuilding wouldn't be an issue, except for the costs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vehicle is Totalled if cost of repair exceeds approximately 80% of the vehicles value.
Mine was only $28K new, and lost 10% once out of the dealer lot. (I'm sure the insurance companies won't think our Jeep values as much as or depreciate much less than we think)

I have 2 cars totaled before and so I know it's very easy to have a car totaled.

My insurance stands by using new OEM parts, so it's very easy to stack up the repair cost. Some shady companies will have repair cost much less using junkyard parts.

My 3.5-year old Sentra Spec V got in an accident, lost the front bumper, had the bottom scratched and the frame was bent. Minor damage outside other than the bumper, I didn't think it would be totaled. I got $14K from that (you can estimate how much to repair just because of those damages)

My 4.5-year old Mazda 3 got hit at the front by some idiot. Since the other car dived under my car, not much exterior damage to mine. Some parts f the transmission was broken, the body shop suggested to total it as it won't be reliable even after repair and the insurance agreed to total it. I got $15K out of that.

I don't know much will need to repair a rolled Jeep, but using new OME parts probably will not take much to total it. Of course, you might be able to find used parts to repair it cheap.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It's a JEEP.... Stand it back on it's wheels, check the fluids, keep on wheeling!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Are you considering buying one that has rolled? I'd also check the engine on a fuel injected Jeep that has rolled or especially flopped. If the fuel cutoff isn't tripped and the pickup has fuel, it will keep running even if the bottom end is starved for oil.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Are you considering buying one that has rolled? I'd also check the engine on a fuel injected Jeep that has rolled or especially flopped. If the fuel cutoff isn't tripped and the pickup has fuel, it will keep running even if the bottom end is starved for oil.
That is good to know, and the kind of thing that made me nervous about buying a used Jeep. How would one go about checking this?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Mine was only $28K new, and lost 10% once out of the dealer lot. (I'm sure the insurance companies won't think our Jeep values as much as or depreciate much less than we think)

I have 2 cars totaled before and so I know it's very easy to have a car totaled.

My insurance stands by using new OEM parts, so it's very easy to stack up the repair cost. Some shady companies will have repair cost much less using junkyard parts.

My 3.5-year old Sentra Spec V got in an accident, lost the front bumper, had the bottom scratched and the frame was bent. Minor damage outside other than the bumper, I didn't think it would be totaled. I got $14K from that (you can estimate how much to repair just because of those damages)

My 4.5-year old Mazda 3 got hit at the front by some idiot. Since the other car dived under my car, not much exterior damage to mine. Some parts f the transmission was broken, the body shop suggested to total it as it won't be reliable even after repair and the insurance agreed to total it. I got $15K out of that.

I don't know much will need to repair a rolled Jeep, but using new OME parts probably will not take much to total it. Of course, you might be able to find used parts to repair it cheap.
The old body shop that I took my vehicles to, would only use OEM parts and he would fight the insurance adjusters for me, but he has retired.

If you don't mind, what insurance company do you use? I'd pay for the benefit of OEM parts only.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a JEEP.... Stand it back on it's wheels, check the fluids, keep on wheeling!!!!!!!!

Yea thats kinda where I was going with this. I know people can roll it over and move on but has anyone then actually rebuilt and replaced the parts making it a good drivable jeep again. My thoughts are the doors will never fit right again but I don't know. The jeep is so modular with parts its seems doable. I am curious to hear from someone who has rolled their jeep and what it took to get it back to "normal."

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
for illustration purposes only.....this was an 2014 JKU Sahara I think it was right at $37K ......from the passenger side front door and driver's side back door you couldn't tell inside of Jeep (unless you looked at hood or driver's door) you couldn't tell. Not rolled side hit with a minivan total loss. It was 63 days old with less than 2500 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts

^^This^^

...however it really doesn't take much for parts and labor to add up to 80%. Insurance companies are assholes. Believe me, I work for one and if they can get away with not having to total a vehicle they will.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yea thats kinda where I was going with this. I know people can roll it over and move on but has anyone then actually rebuilt and replaced the parts making it a good drivable jeep again. My thoughts are the doors will never fit right again but I don't know. The jeep is so modular with parts its seems doable. I am curious to hear from someone who has rolled their jeep and what it took to get it back to "normal."
The first one was the only one with any damage..... new windshield frame and a little fiberglass on his hood and he was good to go..........but then all 3 have full cages in them.......trailer queens!

·
Registered
462 Posts
The old body shop that I took my vehicles to, would only use OEM parts and he would fight the insurance adjusters for me, but he has retired.

If you don't mind, what insurance company do you use? I'd pay for the benefit of OEM parts only.
Wawanesa, but I think they serve only CA or OR in US.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts