Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, please be gentle! My DH would absolutely kill me if I attempted any mods myself. He is OCD and basically won't even change a lightblub.

Someone hit my jeep in the parking lot and dented the bumper (posted in another thread). I really want to get a different than stock bumper. I don't need the winch but really like something like this...

Rugged Ridge Modular Heavy Duty Bumpers - Quadratec

I took it to a dealer for an estimate and they said the only bumper i can get is an exact replacement. It was not a jeep dealer, my FIL works for a Dodge dealer and I usually go there as everything is at cost.

So my question is, if you were unable to do your own repairs/mods, where would you go? Or where would you suggest? Jeep dealer?

Am I breaking all rules of modifying a jeep if i don't do it myself?!

·
Jeeper
11,415 Posts
Find a Jeep club near you. You'll find plenty of folks with the skills and tools needed to do what ever you want, and most are more than happy to help. Especially for some home cooked food, beer and or some cash... :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There are tons of "off-road" shops for Jeeps / trucks that specialize in these types of modifications. When I go for my BIG lift on our TJ, I'll be taking it to the pros & let them do the heavy work. The advantage of this is that even though you pay more, if there is a problem, they should fix it without charge.

Having a bunch of drunk guys who own Jeeps work on your Jeep can be asking for trouble. :D

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
Find a reputable local mechanic who will do the work. It will be much cheaper than a dealer. If your guy won't let YOU do it, ask him why HE can't do it, then.
You also said it's YOUR Jeep, do what YOU want. I'm not going to give marriage advice, but I know that I support my wife in whatever she wants to do. You'll never learn how to spin a wrench if you never try. Swapping bumpers is cake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind help! I'm in Pittsburgh.

Growing up my dad did all the work on our cars and I'm sure he'd help me but he is traveling the great north west until next summer. I am planning out summer projects for us though when the husband isn't looking! See, husband has OCD and any projects that may be dirty/dusty/messy are just too much for him. He doesn't try to be a jerk as some from the outside would see it, it is just something his brain can't help. Very difficult to describe especially on a public board! I'm just thrilled I finally got a jeep again!

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,295 Posts
that bumper should take an hour to install, give a shout out to vaultzz he is down i n your neck of the woods. real nice guy to boot.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Aw geez... you hadn't mentioned OCD... I retract my last statement about the guy :eek: A good friend of mine is O/C. She has a cow anytime she even sees my DJ...

You could look into Jeep clubs. Most are helpful and would understand your limitations. Maybe you could even work him up to doing a light trail with all the windows up :) Might help him cope with other problems even.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
you anywhere near this place?

Big Foot On & Off Road Shop
2222 Greensburg Rd # A, New Kensington, PA 15068-1813

(724) 337-7080 () ‎

give them a call and see what they have to offer.

·
Trail Mom
2,863 Posts
Find a Jeep club near you. You'll find plenty of folks with the skills and tools needed to do what ever you want, and most are more than happy to help. Especially for some home cooked food, beer and or some cash... :)
Excellent advice!

OR, your local 4 Wheel Parts or a body shop.

Putting a bumper on isn't all that hard though. Just a few bolts.

Sure reminds me how lucky I am to have my OBM! (DH- On Board Mechanic)

·
Trail Mom
2,863 Posts
Find a reputable local mechanic who will do the work. It will be much cheaper than a dealer. If your guy won't let YOU do it, ask him why HE can't do it, then.
You also said it's YOUR Jeep, do what YOU want. I'm not going to give marriage advice, but I know that I support my wife in whatever she wants to do. You'll never learn how to spin a wrench if you never try. Swapping bumpers is cake.
Truer words were never spoken. Swapping a bumper is about as basic as it gets.
You could do it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.