Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 sport jku manual. Currently it has wheels from a Sahara, around 32". It's a bit of a dog with the 3.21. I do plan on upgrading the gearing and possibly getting a truetrac. It sees daily driving and northern Wisconsin fire roads.

I'd like to get rid of my awful rims and increase tire size to 33" or 34". If I get a 2" lift and get tires of the size I'm thinking, do I need to increase backspacing, generally? Or is this all very specific to the exact build details?

I do see some 75th anniversary wheels that I like on craigslist. If I added the mopar lift and bfg k02, would this work?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2015 sport jku manual. Currently it has wheels from a Sahara, around 32". It's a bit of a dog with the 3.21. I do plan on upgrading the gearing and possibly getting a truetrac. It sees daily driving and northern Wisconsin fire roads.

I'd like to get rid of my awful rims and increase tire size to 33" or 34". If I get a 2" lift and get tires of the size I'm thinking, do I need to increase backspacing, generally? Or is this all very specific to the exact build details?

I do see some 75th anniversary wheels that I like on craigslist. If I added the mopar lift and bfg k02, would this work?

Thanks,

Mark
If you are going to stick to a stock wheel, oem product for Jeep, you should be fine depending on the height of your tire. The idea of back spacing is to give you that necessary clearance when turning lock to lock. If you do decide to go to after market wheel, that is when you may need to consider back spacing, increasing wheel width with a larger tire needs the extra clearance. Not knowing your tire size, I think you will be okay. 2 inch lift is not a great deal, but remember you are increasing tire height now, so keep that in mind with your amount of lift.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The short answer is, almost in every case "yes".
I agree.

Even if you keep the same tire width, by increasing the diameter, your are basically making the edges come in closer to the frame/suspension when you turn the wheel.

You can probably get by with a slightly larger diameter tire, but moving up above a 33" you're most likely going to need spacers or wheels with less backspacing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
In all likely hood it is collusion with Jeep and every aftermarket part manufacturer out there to part ways with your money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the really short answer is not to buy the 75th anniversary wheels if these are my plans, unless I'm ok with a spacer, which I'm not sure that I am.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So, the really short answer is not to buy the 75th anniversary wheels if these are my plans, unless I'm ok with a spacer, which I'm not sure that I am.

Thanks.
"Spacers" or what are actually called wheel adapters are a really good option if you like your stock wheels (or really like those 75th anniversary ones). MANY people run them here without issue. If properly installed, torqued and are checked when you rotate your tires you will never have an issue. I run 1.5" spacers on stock rims with 35s. Zero issues.

Just make sure you buy a quality product. Spidertrax are very highly regarded. I bought rugged ridge ones from extreme terrain. Make sure whatever you get is hubcentric if you do buy some.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Everything works together . Wheel width and backspacing is as important as lift height when it comes to fitting large tires.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Depends on the lift. After I had my TF lift put on, the 32" MTs on my stock Rubicon wheels would rub before lock.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Thanks,

Mark
The answer is maybe but probably will need hubcentric spacers with stock wheels and larger tires.

I tried to get away without them on the stock wheels and 285/75's, which is about a 33" x 11". The rear is fine but the front rubs a little under full lock driving around town. I figured I could live with that until I tried to reverse down a ledge with the wheels turned...nope. I begrudgingly ordered 1.5" Spidertrax spacers this week. I have run them on my ZJ for a good while and they are excellent.

It is still cheaper than new wheels to run my stockers with $190 spacers, but if I was going to get different wheels, I would go for aftermarket forged aluminum with 4.5" or so of backspacing and a wider width. 285's are about as wide as should be run on a 7" wide wheel. Even at that, mine crown a little.

On my '12, I ran 17x9" Procomp wheels with 4.5" BS and 33x12.5's...perfect fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone who answered. I appreciate the time you took to answer yet another wheel/tire/lift/gear question. I especially appreciate that no one sent me the "let me google that for you" link.

I guess, since I plan on replacing the Sahara wheels, I may as well get something with the appropriate backspacing, rather than takeoffs and an adapter.

Now, about gearing, 4.1 or 4.56 ... or will 3.21 work with 37s? :) Just kidding.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Make sure spacers are legal in your state. Here in Utah they are not legal. I found out the hard way...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts