Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a 03 wrangler sport. The previous owner gave me a new ignition cylinder that he never got around to installing. Was an easy install but the keys that came with it are not programmed and I'm not certain that they could be. If I keep the old key close while starting it with the new one it will clear the anti theft but the radio will not work. Not a huge deal but a PITA nonetheless. The box that the cylinder came in said made in China and had no Jeep or Chrysler markings on it. Am I better off getting a new cylinder from the dealer or is there an easy way to verify if the new keys can be programmed. Thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
If the heads of the new keys are black they cannot be programmed as they have no chip. The heads of the keys with a chip are gray. Unlike the key fob keys used in the 2007 and up JKs, the head of the key cannot be opened.

The sentry key should have no effect on the radio. That just may be the lock cylinder no turning on some circuit, or unrelated.

If it were my Jeep, I would go visit a reliable local locksmith. He may be able to provide or acquire a quality lock cylinder and match it to your current (old) key, the one that matches the other three locks on your Jeep (doors and tailgate).

You may need to make two trips or call and discuss it with him, as he may need to get the cylinder in. He can take a look at the cylinder and if it is ok, he can at least re-key it to match the key that belongs to the vehicle. If you don't have a spare, he can probably cut one and program it for you.

It is not a quick and simple process. Supposedly there is a process where you can buy a key with the chip, have it cut anywhere and then go through the programming using two working keys, but I bought two keys and could never get them to work. I gave up and had a locksmith do it. More expensive, but it works.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
As for the radio not working, try turning the key to the acc. position (all the way back past off) & see if the radio works. If yes, try pushing in on the key when in the on position. If that turns the radio on, the key is slightly too short at the tip or the cylinder is not keeping the key in the proper position to engage the contacts in the ignition switch (bad tolerances).

Probably better to get another cylinder. This one has everything to rekey it to your key.

Ignition Key Lock Cylinder repair kit

Dorman 924-703 replaces OEM part # 5083915AB

Key cylinder replacement, keying to your key
Chrysler Ignition Lock Cylinder Key Matching - YouTube

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The radio does work in the accessory position. I will take your advice and purchase the cylinder you mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts