Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 wrangler tj. I jumped in the jeep turned the key, the dash lights etc. all came on but now the key just moves back and forth with no spring action and it controls nothing. I had to unhook the battery to power everything down. What part needs replacing, the key actuator, connector pin or both?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Same thing happened to me, however I was half way through a trail, stopped for lunch, and went to start it and nothing. Had to replace the ignition actuator pin and ignition switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian, do you mean you replaced the key actuator or the ignition switch? Do you have a service manual or some other instructions you can point me to?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm having the same issue, and came across this in my search. Is it best just to replace both the Ignition Switch and the Actuator Pin at the same time?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the actuator pin. The potted metal part that inserts into the ignition switch had broken off therefore there was no connection between the key lock cylinder and the ignition switch. I also installed a new ignition switch while i had it off. Thanks for the input guys! I spoke to the previous owner who says he replaced these parts with new in 2014. Is there anything we can do different to keep this from happening again? Maybe grease or is there a source for higher quality parts as in no plastic or brittle potted metal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts