Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this a while back but did not get any response. Try again.
While doing a brake job on the front of my 06 TJ I heard something snap in the steering column. I had one front tire on the ground and obviously loaded up the steering system when I turned it and it kicked back against the steering wheel lock mechanism. Now the steering and gear selector do not lock when key is off (auto trans). The one mechanic that has looked says I need a new steering column. It won't start while in gear but anyone can just walk up, put it in neutral and tow it away. This is a very nice 65th Anniversary jeep and I don't want that to happen.
Do I need to replace the ignition switch actuator pin or is there a much bigger problem as the mechanic says?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Not the actuator pin or the ignition switch.

Here is a look at the apparent failure area from my FSM. I’m not sure but guess either the cam or slider failed. It is possible that that part you need is not sold separately & is only sold as part of the steering column assembly. If so, you may be able to get it from a wrecking yard or Davy’s Jeeps without the whole column. It may also be part of the park/brake interlock cable. The FSM is not clear on replacing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I agree, it looks like the slider does the locking. I'll keep looking but I am afraid I am in for some $$ outlay to get this fixed.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I know what you mean. The actuator assembly was never supplied as a separate part & when they failed (as many have) the dealers would quote more than $700 to fix it by replacing the entire column! Dorman has them & saved many guys many $$$.

I would be more inclined to think the cam failed & might well be part of the cable assembly. I would expect that to be available. Otherwise it may be part of the “ignition lock” (not the cylinder) which probably would be part of the column.

If it were me, I would take it apart to see what is actually broken & go from there.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts