Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is that small skinny metal part that sticks out beyond the ignition switch actuator pin. On the TJs the whole actuator pin assembly could be replaced for $45, on the 2007-2011 it is a whole housing for $145. I broke the soft metal extension of that pin. I searched for a replacement assembly but only the housing can be purchased so I took a chance and put it back together. The Jeep starts right up. So how important is that soft metal piece? Sorry for the really bad screenshot of someone's video. If this part proves terribly important I will drill out a little of the old one with a really small bit, get it to the right length, then just leave the bit in place as a replacement pin.

This is what the old ones looked like:

and this is what the 2007s have available (total overkill):

To clarify, the only part I am missing is the thin dark metal extension. It broke off when trying to put the new Ignition Switch on last night.

Do I need it? Is it worth $150? Will the Jeep shut off while driving or some such other nonsense?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Fishbourne - I've been looking for days, and you're the first person I've found with the same issue I've had. Made the exact same mistake. Were you able to get any additional information about how important the PIN was?

Any chance you have a part number, or better picture of the unit? Thinking I need to buy one just in case...

Thanks!

Rich

How important is that small skinny metal part that sticks out beyond the ignition switch actuator pin. On the TJs the whole actuator pin assembly could be replaced for $45, on the 2007-2011 it is a whole housing for $145. I broke the soft metal extension of that pin. I searched for a replacement assembly but only the housing can be purchased so I took a chance and put it back together. The Jeep starts right up. So how important is that soft metal piece? Sorry for the really bad screenshot of someone's video. If this part proves terribly important I will drill out a little of the old one with a really small bit, get it to the right length, then just leave the bit in place as a replacement pin.

View attachment 4441839

This is what the old ones looked like:
View attachment 4441841

and this is what the 2007s have available (total overkill):
View attachment 4441842

To clarify, the only part I am missing is the thin dark metal extension. It broke off when trying to put the new Ignition Switch on last night.

Do I need it? Is it worth $150? Will the Jeep shut off while driving or some such other nonsense?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,509 Posts
Hi Fishbourne - I've been looking for days, and you're the first person I've found with the same issue I've had. Made the exact same mistake. Were you able to get any additional information about how important the PIN was?

Any chance you have a part number, or better picture of the unit? Thinking I need to buy one just in case...

Thanks!

Rich
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I found out that it doesn't matter at all. Been running it since then without the stupid little soft-metal pin.

I had it crank longer than expected once but no other symptoms and it has been 4 months.

Don't worry about it. It doesn't seem to matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts