Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having a hard time figuring out my turn-key-to-start and the starter does not kick over. I hear a small relay click behind the glove box when turned to start, it sounds like, but there is zero power getting to the starter itself. I opened the underhood fuse/relay panel and swapped the starter relay to no avail. I then jumped the relay's main pins and the starter does kick over and cranks the engine full bore. The engine will not start when doing his, even with the key in the run position. When the key is in the run position, the panel, gauges, interior, radio, etc, work normally.

Given this behavior, it seems like a neutral safety switch of some kind. Online searches are telling me the 42RLE NSS is inside the pan? Please tell me this is not accurate. Or the ignition switch itself, though with things coming on when in the run position and the engine still not starting when the relay is manually jumped says probably not.

I checked the 19 and 20 fuse setup in the glove box fuse box, battery is fine, have jimmied the gear selector back and forth and in different notches, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Before thinking you have the worst case scenario...
This could very well be the ignition actuator pin, which is cast pot metal and has a tendency to break. Symptoms for that are often as you describe... Dash lights up when the key is turned to on and run positions, but no crank/no start. There are several good YouTube videos on how to replace. Here is one decent one... You need T10 security torx bit for your screwdriver.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy bee-jeepers @tzukows, excellent lead! Thank you, sir!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And it turned out to be... the broken actuator as mentioned above. Most xlnt! Simple fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts