Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, but couldn't really find anything. I'm having a problem with what I believe is my ignition switch. When I turn the key to the start position, sometimes nothing happens. No starter clic, nothing. If I let it spring back and then try again it usually starts. Maybe sometimes I have to try a second time, but it always works subsequently. Is this a known issue? Ignition switch I would assume? I am not touching the shifter or anything else, so I am assuming that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
How old is the battery?

With all the technology today, if the battery is a bit below a threshold it won't start. The days of the slow agonizing grind the result of a weak battery are over. If there is enough power to start, it will crank. If not, it won't.

Take your Jeep to almost any autoparts store and have them load test your battery. If you are lucky enough to live in the SE and have a Battery Source within a reasonable distance I would go to them. They will check it out with a tech who does nothing but batteries, not a counter person.

Delaying will only make the matter worse. A simple voltmeter may give you an indication, but it may not. With the engine off the voltage should read 12.6 static, with the engine running it should read 14.4 (you are then reading the voltage from the alternator).

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
The signature section says mostly stock 2013 JKU.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Start with the battery. I had a no-start situation recently that had me perplexed until I Iooked up my maintenance records and the battery was 5 years old. I didn't realize until this situation what rgreen65 says above; with today's technology, you won't get any indication of a weak battery like the cars of 2 decades ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 2013. Don't think its the battery or the charging system. I installed a brand new Odyssey military grade battery last year. I will check the battery voltage today though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a 2013. Don't think its the battery or the charging system. I installed a brand new Odyssey military grade battery last year. I will check the battery voltage today though.
Just checked. The battery was almost fully charged. I put a trickle charger on it anyway, but I don't think that is the problem. Tried to start it, full rotation - nothing, full rotation - nothing, full rotation - cranked normally and strong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked. The battery was almost fully charged. I put a trickle charger on it anyway, but I don't think that is the problem. Tried to start it, full rotation - nothing, full rotation - nothing, full rotation - cranked normally and strong.
Full rotation meaning the ignition switch

·
Registered
973 Posts
When I turn the key to the start position, sometimes nothing happens. No starter clic, nothing. If I let it spring back and then try again it usually starts. Maybe sometimes I have to try a second time, but it always works subsequently. Is this a known issue? Ignition switch I would assume? I am not touching the shifter or anything else, so I am assuming that is the problem.
That happened to me once. I looked in on this thread hoping someone might have the answer.

If you want coverage by a service plan, then you might have to wait for it to get worse, so the dealership can observe the condition. Otherwise pay for it out of pocket, if relatively confident that this part should be replaced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem, what did you discover was the issue?

·
Registered
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
1,129 Posts
I’m having something similar, but it is so intermittent that I am having trouble trying to troubleshoot it. I’ve narrowed it down to either the solenoid, switch or pin assembly. I keep the tools needed to pull the switch and pin assembly out in my jeep so when it does it again I can rule those out or find the problem.

·
Registered
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
1,129 Posts
The first step is checking the batt level and status, check the clamps for cleanliness and that they are tight. I went through and took it a few steps farther and cleaned all the grounds up and retightened them and the clamps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts