Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New Jeep owner (99 TJ) and new to WF.

I have an electrical problem and found a 2010 post here suggesting it was my "ignition switch" that was bad. Looking at my symptoms (below) would this be my "key cylinder" or I see Crown makes an "ignition switch" which appears to be an electrical box with a plug.

Just had this problem for the first time the other day. All of the following were inoperative: wipers, blinkers, heater blower, radio.
The following worked fine: headlights, hazards, starter.

It seems very plausible that this could be an ignition problem since all of the inoperative items would not normally work with the ignition switch off, whereas the headlights and hazards would work either way.

So, bottom line: key cylinder or "ignition switch" (the electrical box). Please help me with my terminology. THANKS!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,908 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Thread moved.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the ignition switch or key cylinder. You need to do some electrical diagnosing and see where the problem lies.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
It’s the ignition switch (box with wiring terminals) that powers the fuses to the things mentioned above except the heater blower. If you have no 12v power to fuses 13-15 in the fuse block behind the glove box the switch is most likely bad. The key cylinder just turns the switch (through an actuator). Unless the wire from switch to fuse block for those fuses is broken (very unlikely but have seen it once) the switch has dirty contacts that may be cleaned if you open it up. Otherwise replace it.

If you have no blower function on any of the 4 speeds, that is a different problem. Also a somewhat common. If that is not working I can post links for troubleshooting that circuit.

Here is a link with a good photo of the 3 parts. Disregard the broken actuator tip. That is a different (somewhat common) problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-wouldnt-crank-2163585/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts