Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to replace my ignition switch tonight, but I was just wondering if the key cylinder and the steering wheel both have to come off? Ive read yes and no for both...so just wanting to clarify thanks!

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
The wheel doesn't need to come off, just the shroud. Use the search function on this forum to find more info. Just type in "ignition switch replacement".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your help. I searched and couldnt seem to find any answer specifically that says the key cylinder needs or doesnt need to come out.

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
IMO being that the ignition switch contains the key cylinder they should come out as a unit.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
KEY CYLINDER REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
2. If equipped with an automatic transmission, place shifter in PARK position.
3. Rotate key to ON position.
4. A release tang is located on bottom of key cylinder
5. Position a small screwdriver or pin punch into tang access hole on bottom of steering column lower cover Key Cylinder and Cover Removal
6. Push the pin punch up while pulling key cylinder from steering column.

IGNITION SWITCH REMOVAL

1. Remove key cylinder. Refer to previous steps.
2. Remove lower steering column cover screws and remove cover
3. Remove ignition switch mounting screw - Use tamper proof torx bit (Snap-On® SDMTR10 or equivalent) to remove the screw.
4. Using a small screwdriver, push on locking tab and remove switch from steering column.
5. Disconnect two electrical connectors at rear of ignition switch

There ya go!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!! Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok the PO asked if you MUST remove the key actuator / cylinder........
I see the 1 security screw on the SWITCH
the switch is connected to the actuator by pressing / clipping in.
As asked can you simply disconnect and take the one screw from the side of the SWITCH and simply pull it out WITHOUT removing Key / Cylinder / Actuator........... and replace it with a new one.
OR is the actuator or cover plate holding the switch in place??

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
And you can turn the switch to test if in doubt if the switch is bad.

What is happening to think the switch is bad?

·
Registered
443 Posts

Once in a while its the starter (needs two twist of the key to start)
More often its the gauges that stay dead until you ..............restart.(or just give it a very slight twist)
I think its simple age and moisture over time................. its a Jeep!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If you are turning the key, everything appears to be lighting up as normal, but it just won't start, it's most likely the Ignition actuator pin.
If you remove the ignition switch and a little piece of metal falls out.... It's the actuator pin broken. The nthe above steps for removing everything are required.
Just dry fit everything together on reassembly to make it all work.
Just did this on my POS

·
Registered
443 Posts
I can start it normally 15 times before it acts up.................... a "broken" pin is broken not "intermittent".
A broken pin will not turn the switch.
As the PO stated and as others have as well.................. more can go wrong in the keying system than the pin.
Contacts are my issue............ either worn, corroded or loose.................... its the switch.
NOT the pin as.,. the switch rotates with each turn AND springs the key backwards to run from the start position as its design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts