Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help. I'm looking to access the cigarette lighter power wire from the ignition. Do i have to remove the front dash panels from the top down to get to it or is there an easier way to get to that +wire? Also i need to find the dash illumination wire to tap into and don't have the slightest idea where that could be. Checked google and our search here on the forum but couldn't find any solid info for a 2009.
I'm installing and wiring ARB compressor and all the switches to save some $$ in labor when I take the jeep next week to get my locker installed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I suggest wiring to the battery whenever possible. Disassembling the dash of all JKs is very easy. I know you can forgo the dash illumination wire when doing stereo installs, not sure about your application though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Not sure for an '09 but for switched power on my '12 I used a fuse tap on M9, an unused fuse slot. I checked the cig lighter wire but it had very little slack and I did not want to cut it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a straight hot wire to the battery for my aux lighting. The schematics for the compressor/locker wiring harness needs to be to the ignition wire.
I managed to get the front dash off with out breaking anything and can access the port from behind. I'm going to guess that it's the purple wire for hot?? I guess the illumination wire isn't critical but if anybody knows where that's at, give a holler. Thanks guys

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also am looking for the illumination wire. Any Ideas??

Reactions: Lenaya

·
Registered
94 Posts
The problem with tapping any wire (including the cigarette lighter) is the current draw. If I recall ARB says the circuit needs to be able to handle either 5 or 8 amps. Take a look at the wires feeding the lighter and you'll notice they are quite small, so running the compressor and any accessary plugged into the lighter plug is going to be dicey.
I ran a new fused circuit directly from the battery to avoid overloading the stock lighter and to run the compressor without the key being on.
As far as the switch illumination goes since my switches are on the A pillar and in my line of sight I didn't want the distraction so didn't hook them up. They still light up when the lockers and or compressor is activated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts