Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been interested in jeeps ever since I drove my first one back when I was 10. It was a 92 Cherokee and I learned how to drive on it until it was totalled in a wreck when I was 14. I've Been trying to get a wrangler my whole teenage life but needed a truck more for work. Well, now I'm in the military and can finally afford one (kind of). So I've been researching and I'm gonna test drive a 98 tj with a 4 cyl. It has some minor work but I'd appreciate any advice. Here is the link to the ad. Any advice will help, as I am obviously new to wranglers and this forum.

1998 Jeep Wrangler

·
Registered
105 Posts
First off I'd say that's pretty overpriced. I got my 98 4 cyl bone stock with 101k for $4,000 here in Utah. Also Mods from the PO aren't necessarily a good thing. It doesn't allow you as much creativity as something stock will, and its hard to know if they did everything right with it or just cut corners to make it look pretty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you. How has your 4 cyl. Treated you? Is it lacking in power, have any mechanical problems?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd be concerned about buying from someone who doesn't know the difference between Craigslist and eBay. They talk about canceling the bid and good luck bidding when it's a listing on Craigslist.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd keep looking. This one seems way overpriced. I wouldn't give much more than 4 or 5 for it. For comparison, I got my 04 rubi with 60K a few months ago for 5 grand more than what he is asking. And try and find one with a 6 cyl. in it. I had a 94 YJ with a 4 in it and that ol girl struggled. I ended up re-gearing and that helped but it pales in comparison to the 6 cyl in my opinion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
jgmaestas said:
I agree with you. How has your 4 cyl. Treated you? Is it lacking in power, have any mechanical problems?
The 4 cyl for me hasn't been bad. It performs just as well if not better than a 6 cyl off road. However, if you're going to be traveling freeway speeds often, then go with the 6. I can do 70 but its tough and I wouldn't want to be doing it everyday.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
nelsonan1 said:
The 4 cyl for me hasn't been bad. It performs just as well if not better than a 6 cyl off road.
How would a 4 cylinder perform better then a 6....... ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Recommend looking for a I6, 98' I4 should being 5000-6000 @ the most. Plus you will eventually sell for straight six so why not buy 4.0L in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd rather have the 2.5 off road myself. less power yes, geared properly that doesn't matter. just remember though less power means less chance you'll break an axle, or driveshaft if you suddenly goose it to get over an obstacle in 4low. my 97 2.5 keeps up just fine with my friends 04 Rubicon. on the highway no, but you cant argue with mpgs either ive gotten as high as 26 on highway, but usually closer to 22 or 23. where my friend's rubi has never gotten him better than 22, usually closer to 19. bottom line 4 cyl jeeps are good, don't let anybody tell you different. they aren't for everyone, but thats ok.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
tallzdatank said:
I'd rather have the 2.5 off road myself. less power yes, geared properly that doesn't matter. just remember though less power means less chance you'll break an axle, or driveshaft if you suddenly goose it to get over an obstacle in 4low. my 97 2.5 keeps up just fine with my friends 04 Rubicon. on the highway no, but you cant argue with mpgs either ive gotten as high as 26 on highway, but usually closer to 22 or 23. where my friend's rubi has never gotten him better than 22, usually closer to 19. bottom line 4 cyl jeeps are good, don't let anybody tell you different. they aren't for everyone, but thats ok.
The 4 cylinder also only came with a d35.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it for 8000. Sounds like I overpayed a little. But it has a decent sound system(that is not what sold me on it!) And decent off road wheels which I plan on selling anyway. Anyone think it was a bad deal? Bottom was free of scrapes and dings so it appears to have been lightly used off road. Shifted into 4wheel just fine. Block was a little greasy but appeared to be just spill from oil change. Ran fine and shifted smoothly. Any more opinions?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
but for most people thats plenty. besides they did come geared lower to begin with. my 97 still has the factory axles with a 2.5" pro comp lift and 32x11.5" tires it does just fine. sure its not the fastest hair in the race, but I don't care 60-65 is fast enough to get me where im goin. I am saving to regear, but really for the difference in price between a 4cyl and a rubi you can buy the 4cyl, upgrade to Dana 44 with 4.88 and get a couple tanks of gas to spare. some people like modding and customizing their jeeps. the 4cyl gives you a better budget to do that as well as more reason to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The price is totally dependent on location, age , mileage, and condition. If you think you paid a fair amount, then you did. I just bought my 98 4 cyl basic bone stock jeep with 48k miles, super clean for $7500. Had to jump on the deal within 2 hours of being listed for sale. Around here jeeps are expensive, hold their value and sell FAST if priced right. I can easily sell for what I bought it for. Hopefully you can too!

You'll be happy with the 4 banger if its geared right. I don't ever go over 70 mph, speed limits in the city are only 60 mph anyway. They are cheaper to buy than a 6, so that's a bonus! Save $$ on speeding tickets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info everyone. I feel like I paid a little one the high end, but hopefully I'm getting what I paid for. Anyone near Beaufort south Carolina that would care to meet up and show me some trails? I'm new to the area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts