Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this afternoon my wife was really after me to pull a small 8yr old tree out of our front yard because it died last summer. Being that it's a nice Saturday I decided to go for it. I looked at this dead tree and thought to myself, "this will be simple. I won't even have to cut or dig any roots". Well I was wrong. I hooked up the chain to the back bumper gave myself a bout 3ft of slack and took off. While the tree exploded out of the ground I heard a loud pop. I put her in park walked around back and seen my bumper bent upwards. After looking closer I had a couple bolts sheer off but the other ones were fastened tightly. I also noticed that it looks like I bent the frame where the bumper bolts up. So yeah lessons have been learned and guess I better find a shop. Anyone have a guess at what this is going to cost to have the frame fixed? double face palm! :facepalm:

·
Registered
33 Posts
DOH!! Wow that sucks.

Try googling autobody shops. Get a reputable vendor not a cheapy cheep mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
using a chain or tow strap as a recovery strap? there is a difference and you should not take a running start if you dont have a recovery strap. also, the oem rear bumper is not a suitable tow point

glad no one got hurt, lesson learned.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heck my wife is still happy that dang tree is gone. I don't think she realizes I have to have it fixed and I will upgrade while doing it

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wranglers are NOT:

ATVs
Motorcycles
Submarines
Boats
Bulldozers
4WD tractors
Airplanes

I think early Jeeps did have PTO but pretty sure they would make a lousy tractor.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wranglers are NOT:

ATVs
Motorcycles
Submarines
Boats
Bulldozers
4WD tractors
Airplanes

I think early Jeeps did have PTO but pretty sure they would make a lousy tractor.
Interesting enough, Jeep CJ 2A, 3A, and 3B were marketed as tractors. The University of Nebraska ran it through tests... Nebraska CJ-3A Tractor Test

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
Plants are well anchored wife wanted big lilac pulled from front yard when we lived in city

Hooked up PTO winch on the jeep station wagon and with full brakes drug jeep rather then up root bush

Put front wheel against curb plus brakes and bush creaked and gave way

My father told me I was lucky I did not brake the leaf springs

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had an old 4X4 Ford PU my dad have given to me with the 300 I6 engine. I pulled stumps with her, boats, you name it. That truck pulled like all hell. It had a stick with a granny gear and 4.10 rear. Go easy on yourself Porkrind things happen. I had a class 3 hitch on her.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now it's time to convince the wife it's time to buy a winch, then you could pull tree stumps until the cows come home...just saying.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Now it's time to convince the wife it's time to buy a winch, then you could pull tree stumps until the cows come home...just saying.
x2. Never let an opportunity pass to sell the wifey on an upgrade. She'll feel good knowing she can have trees uprooted anytime she wants with the aquisition of a shiny new winch.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why settle? Now is the time to convince the wife that you need a 4wd tractor with loader and backhoe attachments. That $50,000 investment will enable you to plant and remove trees without effort. She could have that landscaped yard that she's always dreamed about, and be the envy of her friends. After the initial enthusiasm, show her that the per your calculations, moving 50 trees would end up costing about $1,000 per tree. Perhaps a mere $800 investment would allow you to buy a winch to pull her trees, and yet save her $49,200. That's how it should be done. Good Luck, we're pulling for ya.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's some funny suggestions guys. It's definitely the crossmember. So I guess I will be upgrading that and looking to replace the rear bumper with a Barnes 4wd high clearance one. I like the minimalist look and function. Anyone have any suggestions for the crossmember upgrade and rear bumper??? Oh by the way that motobilt one looks really nice so i'll be checking it out first.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Wranglers are NOT: but CJ2s were

Submarines...... yes they could run fully submerged with a snorkel and exhaust extension.
Boats.............. yes they made the SEEP.
4WD tractors.... this is what the CJ2 was

It was farm use that made the CJ a success. You could get it with a rear pto drive which could run anything from post pounders to sawmills. And they sold every farm implement to attach to a CJ2... including discs and plows.

The first civilian Jeeps were called "AgriJeeps" until the "Jeep Universal" name appeared.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Pulling trees alone is what the automatic is great at.

Wrap the choker around the tree. Pull till the roots are exposed. Leave it in drive and 4LO and get out to hack the roots with an axe.... Best if you remove the drivers door too.

4WD excels when you use a slow controlled approach.
2WD might need speed and momentum.
4WD not so much.

I think I prefer the "Florida" use for a 1946 Jeep.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah well. Like I said, "I'm an IDIOT!". I have everything needed to do the task besides my Jeep but hell I honestly thought a 4inch dead tree would pull right out. I've got the winch, two chainsaws, ditch axe, pick axe, etc.... However, if you are married then you might understand the urgency to please the wife on a Saturday morning in hopes of being pleased on Saturday night yourself. So with that said I'm really needing some suggestions on the crossmember replacement and bumper. I've been searching and I really like that upgraded Motobilt one and the Barnes 4wd high clearance rear bumper. However if I go with the Barnes then I'll be looking for a way to carry the spare. I hate being rushed to get stuff done but this is also my DD.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts