Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within reason...........Reason I ask is I have my free oil changes and tire rotations from the WAVE program. The first 6 month of owning the JKU I only put about 2,000 miles on it. I took it in for oil change and 5 tire rotation. The second free oil change and rotation has to be used next month. I've only put about 1800 miles on it since the last one. I asked earlier this year if the free services had to be used by the end of the 2 year period and was told that you had to use 2 each calendar year so no since in letting them go to waste......

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
Nope many of us rotate our tires every 5000 miles or at the time we change our oil. More is better IMO.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda thought so but every 1500 miles seems a little extreme. Once the free ones are over with Ill just do it every 5K or so.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Always the 5 tire rotation as well, thats what real jeep owners do, not the smucks i see with worn front tires tires and a spare thats new and flat...

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
As often as you want, as long as you do it CONSISTENTLY at the same mileage.
Otherwise you will get uneven wear among them.
Varying the rotation schedule by hundreds of miles is not an issue. Just don't vary the mileage by thousands of miles.

Example: You do it at 5000 and then do it again at 1000, your front tires wear more to the outside from cornering, and if the mileage is not CONSISTENT, it will eventually begin to show uneven wear if you vary the rotate mileage interval.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do a 5 tire rotation on mud terrains every 3K and I have them check the balancing. Hell I'm not doing it anyway...just drop it off at Discount Tire. Keeps em wearing nice and even at about 27 PSI.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always the 5 tire rotation as well, thats what real jeep owners do, not the smucks i see with worn front tires tires and a spare thats new and flat...
Yeah, I keep a printout from this page with the 5 tire rotation so it is done the same each time. The first time I went in the service manager said it is a horrible idea to rotate in the spare. I genuinely did not feel like arguing or even listening to his excuse. I just said this is how I want it done and he said OK. I kind of wish now I would have at least heard what his BS excuse was going to about why it is such a horrible idea......

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
Yeah, I keep a printout from this page with the 5 tire rotation so it is done the same each time. The first time I went in the service manager said it is a horrible idea to rotate in the spare. I genuinely did not feel like arguing or even listening to his excuse. I just said this is how I want it done and he said OK. I kind of wish now I would have at least heard what his BS excuse was going to about why it is such a horrible idea......

I suggest marking each tire in an inconspicuous spot or watch them do the job to be sure the spare is really getting rotated in. I'd be suspicious of a service advisor who says it's not a good idea to do a 5-tire rotation but I'd be interested in hearing his reasons why he thinks so.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's plenty on here who argue against it, I'm assuming he feels the same as those members. I will mark them this time. I didn't last time because the spare was brand new so I saw where it went.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Keep an eye on the lug-nuts, no major issues if you use a 19mm socket with breaker bar and a torque wrench, but a impact wrench will round them. Guys here recommend McGard lug nuts which are on my never ending list.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nothing really to argue against rotating the spare in. You get 20% more out of your tires, and when your tires are worn, you don't end up with 1 brand new tire that's now useless unless you buy the exact same tires. And if you ever need to use the spare, all tires will be worn equally too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yeah I think tires only have a life span of 7 years or so...right?

·
Registered
574 Posts
A situational argument against rotating in the spare I've heard is if you wait too long to start doing it, and you build up a large difference in diameter between the worn tires and the never used spare. Not sure how much of a difference would be in any way problematic, but of course this is easy to avoid if you just do a 5 tire from the start. I've been rotating my 5 MTs every 2500 miles out of fear of uneven wear, I rotate once at home then dealer rotates for free with the Jeep Wave oil change. In hindsight that wasn't necessary as I'll be going to 34s or 35s soon, although I've kept them even for my buddy who will be inheriting them for his 4Runner.

·
Super Moderator
1,871 Posts
Depends how they are maintained/stores.

I just sold my ‘98 TJ with the original 20-year old Goodyear GS-A’s. No dry rot or cracking what so ever.

Also have 31-year old original Goodyear tires currently on my '87 Buick.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts

I just sold my ‘98 TJ with the original 20-year old Goodyear GS-A’s. No dry rot or cracking what so ever.

And that’s unsafe. I don’t care how they are stored. 20-30yr old rubber is not going to handle heat like new(ish) rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts

My sister in law is the VP of Goodyear,I will be sure to ask her about this.
Even though she's a woman I'd bet she would know the answer.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yeah it's not about dry rot. I believe the rubber breaks down over a relatively short time (7 years), and loses it's rubber-ability. Probably gets hard and slippery.

A woman VP? Wow she's a power woman. She might know a thing or two about tires hey!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got an old 86 chevy 3/4 ton "wood truck" that has some goodyears on it. I was thinking today they are probably 8-10 years old. Probably only about 5,000-7500 miles on them. Probably should be replaced before too long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts