Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a crossroad.
I am trying to decide on if I want to pour more money into my TJ sport or sell it and start with an LJ Rubicon and go from there. Don't get me wrong. I love my TJ when it's running. I have had some issues lately that made me think of going a different direction. Yes I got the TJ fixed and it is running great. It just made me think about what I am doing.
If I keep my TJ, I am looking at installing a 241 transfer case, rear locker, chromoly shafts, possible a truss on the Dana 30, adjustable control arms in the rear (the fronts all ready have them), body lift and tummy tuck as well as other things that pop up.
If I buy a LJ Rubicon, I will still dump a butt load of money into it, but it seems to be a stronger platform to start with and a little more room for camping stuff.
I guess I am looking for some guidance from the experts and also if you could do it again, would you start with an LJ or stick with the TJ?
Are there any problems with the LJ Rubicon that I should be aware of when looking at one?

Thanks,
Igoo65

·
Registered
370 Posts
The answer is always LJ. If I had purchased an LJ instead of my TJ I would probably still have it instead of my big pig JKU. The TJ doesn't have enough room and the LJ is still small enough to make maneuvering easy on tighter trails. An LJ Rubicon is the unicorn that we all want and need.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I’ve had both, and prefer my current LJ overall. Much more room for camping gear and my dog etc. I loved the TJ too, but the LJ is more useful. The longer wheelbase has its pros and cons on the trail.

·
Super Moderator
9,596 Posts
If you’re looking for a great platform for wheeling then you have to consider definitely consider a Rubicon, whether that’s a TJ or LJ is what’s available and what you can afford. A buddy had the LJR I have a TJR, we’ve wheeled the same trails over the years. He’d do great on one obstacle and I’d do great on the other...the next time it was reversed. If I were to buy another, I’d probably lean towards the LJR because it’s easier than stretching a TJR. If you’re looking for a designated trail rig then I wouldn’t focus on either platforms and look at built rig that meets your expectations and requirements.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I am staying with my Jeep. I will think about it over the winter and then decide which way to go. It's a hard decision. I have put a lot of sweat equity into this Jeep to make it mine and it is very distinctive. A part of me wants to start over with the LJ Rubicon. I guess I will drink a lot and flip a coin!:drinks:

Igoo65

1 - 7 of 7 Posts