Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 with less than 80k miles that is running hot and I can't figure out what the issue is. I have replaced the thermostat, water pump and radiator. My fan clutch and fan is working fine. All of my hoses are in good shape, I'm not losing any coolant or oil. I have burped the system and I'm still running hot. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
817 Posts
do you still have the fan shroud installed? is your fan aligned at the center of the radiator?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thermo should be a 195. Check for that to be correctly installed- check radiator cAp-- then i would say poss bad water pump (bought a bad one) was installed...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Search it because a guy had a very similar problem as you within the last month or so. It is possibly on JF. It was interesting and he tried many things($$$). I don't know if it was resolved

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently had a overheating battle in 97 Tj. Started in March. Been messing w cooling system until about 2 weeks ago.
Got my jeep holding at 200° idle or driving no matter how hot it is outside running very well now. Pretty much a cooling system expert now.
New gaskets all around.
New water pump
New thermostat housing
3 new thermostats
Upgraded 9 blade fan
New 18 psi cap
Drake 2 row aluminum radiator w a hi flow thermostat

Can be 100° outside. Jeep holds at 200° all day

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would suggest. Get your radiator tested if it has restricted flow. Thats gonna kill cooling ability. Make sure entire system is operating proper. Make sure you have correct mix water/antifreeze.
A Dorman 9 blade fan is a nice cheap upgrade frm autozone $26 bolts up exactly to stock jeep fan clutch. Hi flow thermostat is 195° frm action auto. Idk if its actually ( hi flow) but they said it opens a little bit wider then standard. Cheap none the less. The Drake 2 row aluminum Radiator is very nice im impressed w its performance. Was $300 though but in my opinion $ well spent for peace of mind

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you replace or test you cap? The cap needs to hold at 18psi. If the cap is failing at less then 18psi. It will let coolant overflow into reserve bottle. About $5 at Napa Auto.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If the cap is defective, it can let fluid flow into the overflow bottle, but then will suck air back into the radiator, leaving you with a full bottle and a low radiator. That will contribute to overheating.

Otherwise, check that the thermostat is installed correctly -- theoretically you can only put 'em in the right way, but there's nothing a heavy-handed guy with a wrench can't screw up.

The other suggestions -- flow-test the radiator, especially -- are good. Also be sure the fan clutch is working right, so the fan's turning at the proper rpms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Deff. Flow test radiator! Restricted flow = greatly insufficient cooling ability

Oh by the way does your heater work well? If not the restrictions may be in your heater core

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Deff. Flow test radiator! Restricted flow = greatly insufficient cooling ability

Oh by the way does your heater work well? If not the restrictions may be in your heater core
Not to say its not possible but the OP said he installed a new radiator. If he would answer about the Tstat and radiator cap we could help him further?!?!?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a new Stock radiator. Turns out after just 6 months it had restricted flow. But yes a properly working / installed 195° T-stat and new 18 psi cap is critical to proper and sufficient cooling

Just make sure T-Stat is correctly seated. On occasion it may turn or move a bit when you put the housing back. Can use some lube grease ect just to hold the T-Stat in position while installing the housing

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd replace the Cap and the Fan clutch. I know that he said the fan clutch is working properly, but I'd replace it anyway just to be sure.

Don't they make water pumps that flow either way. Maybe the wrong one was installed?

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
"He" (op) apparently could care less. Hopefully he will get back on and answer some of the early (not only mine) legitimate questions. That and only that will help us help him. We can guess and take a shot in the dark all day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the wrong water pump is in. When the belt is routed per design. It will overheat very fast. Can actually pull up correct belt routing diagram to be sure. If the fan works id skip the clutch unless get it frm pull a part. No need to spend $ on working parts. Clutches are not exactly cheap

1 - 20 of 40 Posts