Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am considering what features to add. What is the common wisdom about what makes sense -vs- what is a ripoff from factory and should be done afterwards?

I'm looking at a unlimited either Sahara or Rubicon. I do like comfort features, but some of the prices seem nuts ($1895 for the upgraded radio/nav).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Sahara Unlimited 4 weeks ago. I personally opted to not go with the Navigation because I thought it looked cheap. I did go with the Alpine speaker upgrade which im really happy with. The only thing I wish I had done differently was have them switch out the 3.21 gears with 3.73's or 4.10's. Its a simple fix but I guess I don't really need it until I get my new rims and tires on it. I also went with the color matched hardtop. I live in Indiana so my hardtop will def get used quite a bit in the winter. Im thinking I like the Trektop NX softop over the OEM so getting only the hardtop gave me the option of choosing what soft top I wanted. Anyway, there is alittle input for ya. Cheers!

·
Registered
384 Posts
the difference between a sahara and rubicon are pretty bid.... if your driving around the mall and want to be comfy get a sahara. If you are driving around the mall and want to look "cool" buy a Rubicon. If you plan on wheeling offroad well then that opens up another can of worms.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be a drive around town Jeep and also an off-road Jeep. I live in Arizona so I'll be driving in the desert. I have friends who go on crazy rock crawls, I'd need to improve my driving skills to keep up. I'll definitely need to go in creek beds and up/down hills but maybe not the "hey, let's make a video about how crazy this rock climb was" type of rock crawling. :)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yeah it all depends on where you live and what you want to do with the vehicle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For me, I would not get anything less than 3.73's in the gears. Especially if you're planning on larger tires. But again, that's me. I have 4.10's in my Rubicon and I'm very satisfied.
Before you order, do your homework and assess what you will be doing with the Jeep. If you plan on chasing your buddies on the rock crawling in the future, then you might look at a Rubicon. But if it's just going to be an occasional weekend to the great outdoors, then a Rubicon could be overkill.
I've read on the forum here that when it comes to the radio, buy cheap and go aftermarket. But that's what I've read. Lots of threads on this subject.
Jeeps vary due to personal needs and egos. What's stupid to one, is great for another. It's your hard earned money, do what you want/need with it.
Good luck with the new addiction.....I mean.....Jeep!:happyyes:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Just my $0.02 (and worth much less)

Get the Rubicon with 4.10s. I think you'll quickly find out that you want a lift and bigger tires. The unlimited has terrible break-over clearance.
With the 4.10s and Dana 44s you can go to 35" tires comfortably.
The lockers and sway bar disconnect is so much like cheating, it will make you giggle like a school girl.

Now, since you said Sahara or Rubicon, I'd highly recommend getting the Hard Rock, with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires, right out of the dealer. The first time you drive a stock Rubi through the same washes and rocks, you'll be a happy camper that you did.

I absolutely dig the dual top group. That 4 months of the year with trips to the snow it's just awesome to have the hard top. But the other 8 months is spent mostly with the soft top down and stored in a boot, except for intermittent rain showers, and chilly nights.

Skip the Max tow, buy a hitch and the 7 pin Mopar trailer harness, so that you'll have a good B+ and B- at the bumper for the obligatory Margarita mixer. :)

Again these are just my observations. You can see what I ordered in the signature below. I'm even happier today, than the day I bought it. But that is me, and everyone of us is different.

Good luck with your choice! :beerdrinking:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just my $0.02 (and worth much less)

Get the Rubicon with 4.10s. I think you'll quickly find out that you want a lift and bigger tires. The unlimited has terrible break-over clearance.
With the 4.10s and Dana 44s you can go to 35" tires comfortably.
The lockers and sway bar disconnect is so much like cheating, it will make you giggle like a school girl.

Now, since you said Sahara or Rubicon, I'd highly recommend getting the Hard Rock, with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires, right out of the dealer. The first time you drive a stock Rubi through the same washes and rocks, you'll be a happy camper that you did.

I absolutely dig the dual top group. That 4 months of the year with trips to the snow it's just awesome to have the hard top. But the other 8 months is spent mostly with the soft top down and stored in a boot, except for intermittent rain showers, and chilly nights.

Skip the Max tow, buy a hitch and the 7 pin Mopar trailer harness, so that you'll have a good B+ and B- at the bumper for the obligatory Margarita mixer. :)

Again these are just my observations. You can see what I ordered in the signature below. I'm even happier today, than the day I bought it. But that is me, and everyone of us is different.

Good luck with your choice! :beerdrinking:
Thanks for the detail! I'm curious - why skip the max tow package?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Thanks for the detail! I'm curious - why skip the max tow package?
On the Rubicon Max Tow is just the hitch and a 4 pin connector harness, so no B+ or B- at the bumper, just the 12V adapter inside the back end.
On Wranglers that come stock with 3.21 gears I *think* it includes the upgrade to 3.73 gears (double check this if you decide to go Sahara).

An external 12V supply is really handy at the campsite. Especially if you do a dual battery setup, and wire it to the coach battery.

So basically it's almost $500 for something you'll probably end up changing anyway.

A hitch and a 7 pin harness is about $180, and about two hours labor to have installed (check with the dealer, maybe they'll do it as part of your order, if you buy the hitch and harness through their parts department).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Since you are in Arizona, remote start may not be on your list, but if it is, save some money and do it yourself. Factory charges $495, Amazon $95, 15 minutes to install.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you are doing some serious off road stuff then ask what your buddies are running. Sometimes it makes sense tojust get a sport and mod the ccapout of Iit if most of the axles and suspension will get replaced anyways.

Rubicon with 4.10 gears like others have pointed out Iis good. Don't pass up a vcheap base sport with lsd and 3.73 that would leave you tons of room for goodies

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
A hitch and a 7 pin harness is about $180, and about two hours labor to have installed (check with the dealer, maybe they'll do it as part of your order, if you buy the hitch and harness through their parts department).
Well isn't that the most retarded thing I have heard. If the point is to save money, why would you spend $200 on hardware, and then pay a dealer to hours to install at $100+ an hour. Just pay to have added onto order at that point and get the max tow. Otherwise you will pay more the way you described.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I went with the Rubicon for the primary reason of Dana 44 front and rear, the stickers are off the hood and around a plastic bottle. At some point I may put cloth covers over my seats and then nobody will know it's a Rubicon from looking at it.

Performance and reliability are the main driver of my selection. 4 door, because I need the extra space for a monsterous telescope (not that it hurts for hauling camping gear) Picked out the dual top group so I can run ragtop, hard top or no top. Went with the 430N with connectivity. Nice to have the EVIC, not planning to do much with the bluetooth stuff.

For safety I went with the Front Side Airbags (because you just never know about those people who drive on pavement)

Leather trim (what Ricardo called Rich Corinthian Leather) seats for easy clean up.

6 spd (which includes 4.10) because I like driving sticks.

Alpine 9 for the heck of it. :)

Skipped max tow because I can do that when I need and after market.

·
Registered
2015 jkuhr Anvil
83 Posts
Got my Rubicon about a week ago and love it!
A few things:
The upgraded speakers are great (IMO).

The 430N radio is crap. Looks bad, interface is weird, the uconnect/bluetooth/connectivity stuff-whatever is poor. I have a iPhone and while it does connect, usually Siri cancels the call by the time uconnect connects. Huge delays. Doesn't read or dictate texts from siri/iphone.
Our Chevy's radio and bluetooth is seamless with our iPhones.

Someone here mentioned to get the smokers package because you'd get an extra "outlet" for phone chargers. When I told the dealer he laughed but said it makes sense. You don't. I paid $30 for a heating element and a SMALL ashtray.

Remote start distance isn't far or strong enough (when at work or out). At home its fine and can start it in the morning. At the mall, i can walk to the car faster than it can heat up. I assume it will be the same in summer where I can get to the car before it cools.

Heated seats are nice. My previous car's heat didn't work over winter (in Chicago) so any additional heat source sounded good when I ordered it. The regular heat is great but the heated seats are prob. not needed; esp. in Arizona.

I just ordered the tow hitch. $60? at Qtech. Looks easy enough to put on,knock on wood (i have VERY limited mechanical skills).

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I went with the Rubicon for the primary reason of Dana 44 front and rear, the stickers are off the hood and around a plastic bottle. At some point I may put cloth covers over my seats and then nobody will know it's a Rubicon from looking at it.

Performance and reliability are the main driver of my selection. 4 door, because I need the extra space for a monsterous telescope (not that it hurts for hauling camping gear) Picked out the dual top group so I can run ragtop, hard top or no top. Went with the 430N with connectivity. Nice to have the EVIC, not planning to do much with the bluetooth stuff.

For safety I went with the Front Side Airbags (because you just never know about those people who drive on pavement)

Leather trim (what Ricardo called Rich Corinthian Leather) seats for easy clean up.

6 spd (which includes 4.10) because I like driving sticks.

Alpine 9 for the heck of it. :)

Skipped max tow because I can do that when I need and after market.

Pretty much got the exact same set up as you, except mine is the HR.

To the OP - if you're gonna off-road don't even think twice about getting the Rubicon, you'll be happy you did.

FWIW - I'd recommend a 2.5" lift for 35's, any higher can add $$$ to the deal and cause future issues to pop up.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the ride!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts