Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i just got my pay check and im going to order my lift. the only thing is im having trouble deciding. im deciding between the rough country 4" and the rubicon express standard 4". i have heard mixed reviews about the rough country but it will be about $200 cheaper. is the 200 worth getting the rubicon or would it be better put toward new tires. the jeep is my DD and im a weekend warior and do trails and some minor hill climbs, nothing crazy. any input would be great, i want to order this soon so i can install it before my buddies and i go to hollister in 3 weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
I havn't looked at the Rubicon lift. But I installed a 4 inch RC today on my own 04 sport. Not claiming to be a pro, but I do under car, like suspension and brakes and alignment for a living. I'm pretty impressed with the kit. Only thing I would recomend is, When installing the trackbar drop bracket, cut a piece of pipe or tubing the same length as the thickness of the trackbar bushing, about 1 1/2 long. Where the trackbar comes out of the factory bracket and they say reuse the OE bolt, put the pipe spacer in there. It will prevent problems down the road. Over all, nice kit. I got the Hydrolic shocks, and it rides better than stock on the street. Can't tell you about the off road end yet, because my wareouse is out of stock on the tires I wanna try. Should know by the weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rubicon doesn't come with a dropped pitman arm as the RC does, if i do get the "rubi" should i order a pitman arm as well. also while im down there is there anything else that should be replaced. ive heard of doing the cv driveshaft and sye, but i think that is going to have to be down the road a little

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oops, wasn't paying attention to where I was. Sorry

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
If you can afford it buy RE Kit. I have the RC kit and like it, but the RE is engineered far better.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
the rubicon doesn't come with a dropped pitman arm as the RC does, if i do get the "rubi" should i order a pitman arm as well. also while im down there is there anything else that should be replaced. ive heard of doing the cv driveshaft and sye, but i think that is going to have to be down the road a little
I'm not to sure on the steering on a YJ, but on a TJ, if you don't upgrade the the Trac-bar a drop pitman arm is something to steer clear of.

But on a YJ you really don't need the trac bar, so a pitman arm might help.

If your not gonna get a SYE and CV driveshaft right away a dropped t-case skid and maybe motor mount lift would be in need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think im going to get the RE kit, im going out to dinner with a mechanic friend of mine and were going to talk it over a few drinks. should i get the dropped pitman arm as well and is there anything else i need do?

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
My Rough Country kit was good for a few months. Now, a year later, I would not use their YJ kit if it was given to me. Springs are flat, 33's stopped fitting so tub has been trimmed and not to mention other drivetrain related problems due to the poor quality. Buy the RE kit!

·
Registered
781 Posts
thats what i heard another person on this forum said that after a few thous miles the springs were goin flat......id say re

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I'm running the RE 2-1/2" standard lift for almost two years now. It was a good kit and the only change I made was to buy ss brake lines and not use the extensions that came in the kit.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
If you can swing the extra coin, get the Rubicon kit. I have regretted not saving more for my kit and settling with the RC for years now. My springs didn't flatten, they are just extemely stiff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright i just ordered the RE 4" standard lift. i also got a dropped pitman arm because the kit doen't come with one. is there anything im missing and any words of wisdom for what im about to do would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
If you are without an SYE or a CV drive shaft, does it come with transfer case drop spacers? If not you can just use washers or something else to drop that belly pan about 1".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts