Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of things to my 2001 Wrangler, and learning along the way. In an earlier post, I learned that I probably need to replace my fuel pump, to resolve a starting issue, but I have not gotten to it yet.
Today, I was heading out for a drive, and it had the usual starting issue, but a new one came along.

After starting, it was running fairly rough. It's done this before, but comes out of it right away. Today, it didn't seem to end, and about 5 minutes of running and the engine light came on. I checked the fluids, and everything else I could think of, but the light did not go out.

My question is, would the poorly functioning fuel pump cause the engine light to come on? Maybe not enough fuel pressure? The exhaust does seem to smell quite rich when I first start up.

Other than a few small issues I've had to fix, I love my Wrangler. It's a sweet ride on a nice sunny day, and as yet I have not found anyplace it won't go. It's our favorite cruising buggy ever.

Thanks in advance, for any wisdom you can share!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
After starting, it was running fairly rough. It's done this before, but comes out of it right away. Today, it didn't seem to end, and about 5 minutes of running and the engine light came on. I checked the fluids, and everything else I could think of, but the light did not go out.

My question is, would the poorly functioning fuel pump cause the engine light to come on? Maybe not enough fuel pressure? The exhaust does seem to smell quite rich when I first start up.
You really should get an OBDII reader, so that you can see what codes the Check Engine Light is throwing. I use this one. It can tell you exactly what is going on (on your phone app) and it can reset the light when you fix what set it off. Works on most cars (I think 1996 on). https://smile.amazon.com/Panlong-Bl...d/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=22ZKR6083HRWO Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON 3 times without starting the engine and the code(s) will read out in the odometer display.

I also read your previous post about starting problems. You can test if it's the check valve by cycling the ignition from OFF to ON several times and then to START. If it does start fine after this, the fuel pressure regulator can be replaced in your 2001 TJ without having to replace the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Check codes for CPS issue.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON 3 times without starting the engine and the code(s) will read out in the odometer display.

I also read your previous post about starting problems. You can test if it's the check valve by cycling the ignition from OFF to ON several times and then to START. If it does start fine after this, the fuel pressure regulator can be replaced in your 2001 TJ without having to replace the fuel pump.
X2 on that...

The built-in code display function is a life saver! It is awesome to be able to pull over to the side of the road and see what code has been triggered without having to drag the OBDII code reader around all the time. It is great to be able to find out on the roadside, if you have a minor code or something more serious right away. You can determine if you can continue driving or need a tow.

I would still get an OBDII code reader to have at home. It will be really helpful in digging deeper into what triggered a code(s). The code readers can also provide a snapshot of the vehicle data for the moment the code was thrown (engine temp., RPM, speed, fuel trims, etc.). Many readers can show live streaming data, that can help see how things are functioning.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
The key trick doesn't work on all year TJs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. So this is still happening.
I purchase an OBD II, and it, along with the built-in code reader, were showing a mis-fire in cylinder 6 (P0306). I check everything I could check, and I have replaced the spark plugs and coil pac. I did find a hairline crack on the #6 spark plug, but I'm not sure it meant anything. Anyway, I am still getting the code. Possibly the injector?? Wouldn't a bad injector send it's own code?

This problem came on 'all-of-the-sudden', and it didn't seem to be progressive. I started it up one day, and the 'miss' was prominent. Engine was loping, and vehicle was shaking.

Since installing the plugs and coil pac, it seems to be running fine, but that code will not disappear, and my OBD will no clear it.

Can anyone share a similar experience, or some great advice? I'm leaning toward injector issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since installing the plugs and coil pac, it seems to be running fine, but that code will not disappear, and my OBD will no clear it.
Will not clear the code or the codes comes back after it's been cleared?

If the code reader will not erase the code, disconnect the battery negative for a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts