Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and was looking for some help or opinions.

I'm get ready to purchase a 2012 wrangler unlimited Rubicon. One of my concerns was the tops. I was only looking to get the soft top and then I started to think about how they were in the winter. Does the cab get cold in the winter? Does snow build up become a problem?

Are there any options that you think are great / a must have ?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I can't comment on the snow, but the AC on these things is a beast. You will be warm for sure, regardless of top. Might only be cold if you are sitting in it with engine and ac off.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
You won't have any problem with heat. The heaters in JKs are really good. Mine was warm at -21 so I bet you'll be fine in normal weather

As far as snow buildup; that is your only downfall. You shouldn't let more than 2-4 inches of wet snow or 4-6 inches of really dry snow build up on top. The less buildup the better because it can stretch the top.

You can always do what a lot of people do: buy just the hard top or just the soft top and then buy the other on craigslist for cheap

·
Registered
166 Posts
like jkjeeper pointed out you can get both. it might be a good option for you like he stated to try to find a used one at a reduced cost. however some jeeps come with both. mine did. you might want to consult with your dealer and see if that option is available. just a thought...

·
Proud Wrangler Owner
717 Posts
I am pretty new here and just got my jku. I had ordered it in Dec.

I went through the same dilemma and ended up getting the dual top option when I ordered mine.

It snows a lot where I live and I am planning to keep the hard top on during winter and soft for summer.

You could just get the hard top and then buy the soft top from your local ads. If u decide to do that, one thing to keep in mind is that the soft top comes with a whole bunch of accessories and a lot of times the seller is always short of something either misplaced or lost which you will have to buy later.

·
Registered
530 Posts
new jersey here, lots of soft tops here, never heard of any one complain about soft top stretching due to snow build up, drive by dealers during and right after storm and you will see 1 foot or more snow on soft top roofs. but this is the first winter i am running a soft top, no worries here, yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts