Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I currently drive a 2017 JKU auto, before that it was a 2017 JK (2Dr) manual. I have been constantly tempted by the JLs so took the opportunity this summer and more recently last week to rent a couple 2019 JL 4Drs to get a feel for them. Here are my impressions from the two rentals. I didn't verify the engine on the first one but assume it was the 6cyl after driving the second one which was definitely the 4cyl turbo:
1. The new soft top is amazing for folding and removal of the windows etc, they really did a nice job with this, much better than the zippers. On my rental the little bullet tips that lead the window bead into the tracks were gone so I gather you need to be a bit careful with them. I can't speak to swapping the soft top for the hard top when the seasons change but I hear it takes much more work than the JK. A+ on soft top articulation/management.
2. The base stereo sounds much better than the JK. My summer rental had a mid level OE head unit but not the alpine and I was very impressed compared to the base JK unit which is really useless when the top is down.
3. The switchgear is all much improved in feel and appearance on the JL, no question they spent money here.
4. The ride is noticeably improved on the JL, it's a different animal on the road for sure. After putting some Bilsteins on my JK it's quite nice but the JL is a cut above.
5. Highway cruising at 80mph is effortless in the JL. The JK wind noise and throttle return spring force make you feel like you're working for 80mph even if it's not really the case.
6. The 4 cyl turbo has plenty of power and the "E assist" works well if perhaps being a little too jumpy on throttle tip in. However, in my rental anyway, this engine is an auditory disappointment. I stepped deep into the throttle and my son says, "It sounds like a weed whacker motor...". Sound is subjective for sure, but for this reason alone the 4 cyl will NOT be on my list of options until/unless I drive another one and find that my rental was an anomaly. But as I said, if sound doesn't trigger you, then you'll like this motor. My rental had about 12,500 miles on it.
7. I was finding that I needed to randomly input steering correction when driving around town (surprise, you have to steer :)), not as much of an issue on the highway, but this was tiresome compared to my JK. Definitely something I'll think about before ordering a JL versus purchasing one from the lot that I can test drive. I'd probably get used to it and don't think it relates to some of the more major steering looseness others have reported in the JL.

That's about it, just wanted to share.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I drove a 2020 Yellow JLU Sahara 4 cyl turbo as a rental with 4 miles on it about a month ago in Tampa and even took out the hardtop panels which were very easy to do. i punched it a few times on I-75 on my way up to Gainesville and it had really good response and a lot quieter as you also stated. a world of difference then my 15 JK sport

·
Super Moderator
9,509 Posts
I test drove 2018, 2019 and 2020 JLs, Saharas and Rubicons, V6 and 4-cylinders, 2 and 4 doors.

This is what I found:

1. Didn’t find a significant difference in performance between the V6 and the 4-cyl. The 4-cylinder seemed to produce less noise inside the cabin, but didn’t care how the motor sounds from the driver’s seat. I prefer the V6 for the simple fact that it’s now proved itself.
  2. Didn’t find a significant difference in the steering feel between 2018, 2019 and 2020 JLs.
  3. The biggest difference in steering feel seems to exist between Saharas and Rubicons; Saharas felt looser. I presume this is due to different tires.
FCA issued a TSB to re-flash the steering module, and another to replace the steering damper. According to JL owners, these fixes have limited impact. Beyond these, FCA seems to be at a loss about how to fix the issue.

At this point I doubt JL’s steering feel is going to get any better. If you want a JL, you need to decide if you can live with the loose steering, or if you believe there are mods that can be attempted to mitigate the issue.

PS - Tomorrow I am flying out to pick up my new JL and drive it 700 miles back home. Hope I don’t end up in the ditch...

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Started a new job in June. This new job has a lot more rental cars in my life than in the past. National car rental often has Wranglers. I have driven three JL Saharas in both 2.0 liter and V6 as well as many sports. Along the way I decided to sell my JKURX to my daughter and order a new JLUR. Almost all the options I knew exactly what I wanted but I was still torn between the 4 and 6 cyl. The bottom line for me is the turbo is just too jumpy. I do like the gas mileage on the turbo but I like the strong smooth power of the 6. My new one has the V6. Lovin life right now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Started a new job in June. This new job has a lot more rental cars in my life than in the past. National car rental often has Wranglers. I have driven three JL Saharas in both 2.0 liter and V6 as well as many sports. Along the way I decided to sell my JKURX to my daughter and order a new JLUR. Almost all the options I knew exactly what I wanted but I was still torn between the 4 and 6 cyl. The bottom line for me is the turbo is just too jumpy. I do like the gas mileage on the turbo but I like the strong smooth power of the 6. My new one has the V6. Lovin life right now.

What kind of steps/rails are those? Like the painted inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
that's a sharp Rubi... good luck

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Have both a 2018 JKU and 2018 JLU, bought a week apart. I drive both and built both together at the same time. At the end of the day they feel the same on road.
But I hear what people say and don’t believe you can compare the ride for a stock JLU to an older JKU that maybe modified or has other then stock tires.

In my case there simply is no ride quality difference. Throttle response is sharper on the JLU. Steering is tight on my JLU. And of course the interior is different, better? I don’t think so, just different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I forgot to post that if you end up purchasing these sliders be sure to read both the reviews about the installation instructions. The installation is not very tough and the instructions are not current. One of the reviews is mine.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/apollo-sliders-step-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl-4-door?utm_source=cartalliance&utm_medium=smartcart-addtocart&utm_campaign=cse

Feel free to PM me if you buy these so I can save you a bunch of time and hassle. Also, the Wrangler Forum discount is honored by Quadratec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts