Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have an 02 Jeep Wrangler with a three speed automatic transmission I'm in the hills of SW pennsylvania and my Wrangler is shifting improperly It seems like its taking to long to shift and it then overrevs I'm afraid of blowing my transmission has anyone ever encountered anything like this or does anyone have any tips they could help me out with?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Did you check the fluid level? Low fluid could easily cause this. Note you have to check the level when it's warm, and the trans has to be in neutral and engine running.

Where at in PA? I own a farm up in Somerset Co., bout 8 miles from Flight 93 site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around Pittsburgh Moon Township to be exact but that would be great if thats all it is haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my transmission fluid was full it looked a little dirty though any other suggestions my friend?

·
Registered
268 Posts
tv cable runs from the throttle body to the transmission and tells it how much engine load or throttle if you will is being applied and helps determine main line pressure of the trans which determins shift points

·
Knows a couple things...
48,848 Posts
What is the tv cable how would I recognize it?
The TV (throttle valve) cable is attached to the same point on your throttle body as the accelerator cable is. Stepping down on the gas pedal cause the TV cable to pull a lever on the transmission which controls its shift points, going into passing gear, etc.

It could be that the TV cable is a little too tight. It is supposed to be simply 'taut' (no slack) without actually pulling the throttle body lever any at all when at rest.

Per the Factory Service Manual:

"THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
The throttle valve cable controls throttle pressure
and kickdown on 30RH transmissions.
Correct cable adjustment is important to proper
shifting. The cable positions the throttle valve which
controls shift speed, shift quality and part throttle
downshift sensitivity. If the setting is incorrect, shift
quality and shift speeds will be unsatisfactory.

PROCEDURE
Cable adjustment is performed in the engine
compartment. It is not necessary to raise the
vehicle for access.
(1) Shift transmission into Park and shut engine
off.
(2) Disconnect cable end from throttle lever.
(3) Press cable release button
(4) Adjust cable end socket to center of ball on
lever.
(5) Connect cable to throttle lever." (end of Factory Service Manual info)

The wrong ATF can also cause an automatic to not shift correctly, your 32RH transmission is designed to run ONLY on ATF+3 or ATF+4, nothing else will work properly.

Perhaps your transmission would benefit by being completely drained and refilled with fresh ATF+4. ATF+4 replaced the older ATF+3 your transmission came filled with from the factory which is not as durable and is more prone to being damaged (burnt) from getting too hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in monoriville, pa. Haveing same issues with a 32rh tranny. Im going to do a tranny filter and flush here soon. If you ever looking to wrench give me a shout. New tv cable ordered today, installing by endnof week

1 - 9 of 9 Posts