Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't really notice how much gas a wrangler really eats. Still don't regret buying my 2012 jk one bit. What are some ways you use to improve gas milage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Subscribing...

I've been mulling over the possibility of selling my Roushcharged F-150 Screw and buying a Rubicon. But it's amazing to me that my 6,000 pound, supercharged truck, with a 5.4 Liter engine, gets practically the same mpg as a JK weighing 40% less with a V-6. Takes a lot of fuel to turn that 4wd, huh!

Go figure!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I only drive to the west when the wind blows to the west and vice versa. Saves me TONS in gas.....

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
What would you say your average MPG is now? Do you spend a lot of time in FWD? Tow anything? or just driving around town? Lots of city driving vs. highway?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
denisbaldwin said:
What would you say your average MPG is now? Do you spend a lot of time in FWD? Tow anything? or just driving around town? Lots of city driving vs. highway?
Mostly driving around town. 65% city 35% highway. I'm averaging 14 mpg

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Gas mileage? Wrangler?

Mutually exclusive. :nonono:

I average just over 15 w/35" tires.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Mostly driving around town. 65% city 35% highway. I'm averaging 14 mpg
Have you modded the jeep at all? Lifts, wheels/tires, armor? Those can kill mpgs. Also, as someone else mentioned, make sure you get out of the break-in period as the 3.6 seems to settle into better mileage for some reason.

All of that aside, aerodynamics and rolling resistance are a big deal. Wranglers are shaped like dishwashers, sit high off the ground, and often have big mud or other relatively heavy to turn tires on them. On top of that, Wranglers have live front axles.

Your best bets are to accelerate less aggressively and keep it closer to 65 mph on the highway. Going over 75 mph basically cuts your mpg down to city driving levels. Also become good at letting off the gas far enough out so that you can coast to stops (i.e., hardly any brake usage) as this cuts down on fuel wasted accelerating when you're going to be braking later anyway. You can also swap on smaller, AT "road" tires.

If you do all those things consistently, I'd expect you'll get back three mpgs or more. You'll also hate everything about it, which is why I don't bother with any of that crap.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Aerodynamics and rolling resistance are a big deal. Wranglers are shaped like dishwashers, sit high off the ground, and often have mud or other relatively heavy to turn tires on them. On top of that, Wranglers have live front axles.

Your best bets are to accelerate less aggressively and keep it closer to 65 mph on the highway. Going over 75 mph basically cuts your mpg down to city driving levels. Also become good at letting off the gas far enough out so that you can coast to stops (i.e., hardly any brake usage) as this cuts down on fuel wasted accelerating when you're going to be braking later anyway. You can also swap on smaller, AT "road" tires.

If you do all those things, I'd expect you'll get back three mpgs or more. You'll also hate everything about it, which is why I don't bother with any of that crap.
I perfected the art of saving fuel when I had my MINI S. Slower take-offs, taking foot off accelerator on down hills, coasting to stops, ect. But that lasted only 2 tanks of gas (in which I got an ave. of 30 MPG) being that the MINI was too fun to drive like a grandma.......But since my Wrangler is no sports car, I can drive it more conservatively and I have been getting about 19 MPG average....

·
Registered
571 Posts
:banghead: not too much you can do. its like others have said...dishwasher, refrigerator, freezor.....not real aireodynamic (sp). that said....based on personal experience, i can say that the 2012 gets better mileage than the 2007 i had. 18-19 mpg vs. 15-16 mpg when using as a daily driver. 19-20 on the two lanes here in the country.
my 2007 with the six speed and 3:21 rear was greatly effected by headwind and wet roads. my 2012 not so much. bigest thing is the same as any car...tire pressure, accelleration keeping it tuned. most things advertised to help are just gimicks...keep you speed under 65 and its not bad.....under 60 it gets better.

cass :wavey:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I perfected the art of saving fuel when I had my MINI S. Slower take-offs, taking foot off accelerator on down hills, coasting to stops, ect. But that lasted only 2 tanks of gas (in which I got an ave. of 30 MPG) being that the MINI was too fun to drive like a grandma.......But since my Wrangler is no sports car, I can drive it more conservatively and I have been getting about 19 MPG average....
Yup. I did it for one tank. Averaged 21.5 mpg in a 4 door with the 3.8 engine and the stock Rubi wheels/tires. I was very proud and never, ever did it again. It sucked the fun right out of driving.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
keep you speed under 65 and its not bad.....under 60 it gets better.

cass :wavey:
My wife said " why are you driving in the slow lane? You never did that in your car" my response, "cause I can".........

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yup. I did it for one tank. Averaged 21.5 mpg in a 4 door with the 3.8 engine and the stock Rubi wheels/tires. I was very proud and never, ever did it again. It sucked the fun right out of driving.
I did the math on exactly how I was saving by boring driving vs fun driving (all legal) and it just wasn't worth saving $3/ tank............I'll pay the extra to have fun........

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Jeep ... good fuel mileage......this does not compute. Boolean error!

when I want good fuel mileage out of my Jeep I park it in the garage and drive my F150. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MTH said:
Have you modded the jeep at all? Lifts, wheels/tires, armor? Those can kill mpgs. Also, as someone else mentioned, make sure you get out of the break-in period as the 3.6 seems to settle into better mileage for some reason.

All of that aside, aerodynamics and rolling resistance are a big deal. Wranglers are shaped like dishwashers, sit high off the ground, and often have big mud or other relatively heavy to turn tires on them. On top of that, Wranglers have live front axles.

If you do all those things consistently, I'd expect you'll get back three mpgs or more. You'll also hate everything about it, which is why I don't bother with any of that crap.
No mods. (yet) lol 100% stock. I only have 400 miles on it, I've heard u get better gas mileage once u break it in a bit. Been considering a lift and fatter tires, on avg how much will that decrease my avg miles/gallon

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Different animals between a truck and Wrangler. On the truck the aerodynamics aren't great, on the Wrangler they are horrific. Air resistance goes up with the square of your velocity so that drag coefficient is really hurting you in the Jeep when you get moving past 65 mph.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
on avg how much will that decrease my avg miles/gallon
Tough to say as it'll vary with the wheels/tires, height of the lift, and your driving style. You generally lose less than 5 mpgs. Could be 1 or 2 mpgs, could be a full 5.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The only way to improve gas mileage with a Wrangler is to improve your drving habits.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you are worried about the gas mileage, mabey you should not be driving a wrangler. I only use mine on mini vacations.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts