Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep just has a horrible system, right? Or am I stupid?

I thought it was quite suspect to basically just toss the filters in since there's really no way for them to be held in place. How is it suppossed to filter well if there is no seal and the filters are loosely sitting there? Today I took out my glovebox and noticed the flap that opens and closes the vent was squishing my filters. What am I doing wrong, or should I just not use filters?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is actually the first vehicle I’ve ever had with a filter. I have to question why, when I go topless nine months outta the year. Mine didn’t come with one ,but I put one in. It’ll be the last and only one I put in it. After driving forty years and never needing a filter it’s just assinine to me.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Jeep just has a horrible system, right? Or am I stupid?

I thought it was quite suspect to basically just toss the filters in since there's really no way for them to be held in place. How is it suppossed to filter well if there is no seal and the filters are loosely sitting there? Today I took out my glovebox and noticed the flap that opens and closes the vent was squishing my filters. What am I doing wrong, or should I just not use filters?

Your only giving me two options soooooo, you are stupid.

Defer to https://youtu.be/s_eJ3hSyWak for a how to.

As for the use of filters, well you will get conflicting responses. Filters do hinder air flow a bit, they may be useless if you have the top down/off and/or windows down/doors off. I've read somewhere that it causes premature wear on the heater core or something along those lines? I cant see why that would be the case...

At the end of the day, its up to you if you want to add them, many do not use them.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Definitely operator error. Lots of YouTube videos that show how to install them. For those that run topless they don’t do much good, for those that run hardtops in hot climates they are great.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Today I took out my glovebox and noticed the flap that opens and closes the vent was squishing my filters.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=80783&c=2
Watched the video. Confirmed no user error. It's just a crappy system or my expensive Wix filters weren't sized properly.

Its pretty easy to install. Far easier than my other vehicles.

Since the flap is squishing your filters after installation, the only choices are that you really aren't installing them correctly, or your cheap filters aren't the correct size.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of all the vehicles I've owned with in-cabin filters it's a really crappy system. It depends on the compression of the filter to hold it in place. My filters must have popped out at some point (big bump, I don't know) and then subsequently gotten squished by the flap. If I decide to add a filter again I'm def going one piece because there will be less tolerance for movement (I would imagine).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Of all the vehicles I've owned with in-cabin filters it's a really crappy system. It depends on the compression of the filter to hold it in place. My filters must have popped out at some point (big bump, I don't know) and then subsequently gotten squished by the flap. If I decide to add a filter again I'm def going one piece because there will be less tolerance for movement (I would imagine).
Man, if you think the current system sucks with a 2 piece filter, your going to light your jeep on fire when you try to fit a one piece filter.

Honestly, 2 piece filter design works. What model filter did you get?

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love filters in the car heater system, keeps a lot of stuff from getting stuck in the heater core/evaporator. Its a lot easier changing a filter filled with pine needles then getting in to clean the heater core / evaporator.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I noticed mine got unseated (not that they are ever really seated) after I went off-roading so I just check them every once in a while and after I get back from off-roading to make sure they are sitting right.

And yes, it's a poor system for a vehicle that bumps around a lot.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I like mine and it seats well. Comes in handy for winter ops. That road salt stuffs me up like crazy. I’m currently using the charcoal version but might switch back to Wix. I think the flow is getting choked out. I would order another filter to see if there was a design flaw as an experiment.
Update: just inspected mine and both are seated perfectly! When I fired the A/C up and tried to remove them, it was tough because they were pinned while air is flowing. Took 5 minutes to check and clean out some pine needles.

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
I love filters in the car heater system, keeps a lot of stuff from getting stuck in the heater core/evaporator. Its a lot easier changing a filter filled with pine needles then getting in to clean the heater core / evaporator.
I agree with this. There are two aspects to the filters. One is they filter the air that comes out of the ventilation system. And sure, that may not seem important when you drive around with the top off. But they are also filtering the air before it goes into the ventilation system. That means that all the crap they filter out doesn't end up clogging up your heater core and evap coil, as well as keeping the insides of the vents clean so you don't have a science experiment going on in there.
If that isn't worth a few bucks every year or two to you, fine. Don't put filters in there. But that seems like a no-brainer to me. Filters for ventilation systems are pretty much standard practice. In dirty environments they are even more important and more standard practice.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Do you have pollen in your area?
Installing the filters keeps most of that pollen out of our HVAC, even if you are like me and drive a few months top/doorless.
They don't make any vehicle a "Clean Room", that would be a garage queen.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Installation issue. These come with all the Sahara models.

I thought the cabin filter came on Wranglers with the Auto A/C option (or if the assembly line guy made a mistake). I know on my 2014, the cabin filter is listed on the sticker right under the Auto A/C price line.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts